1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with desktop icons(Internet Explorer's)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JamesBone, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

How do you change the icon for the Internet Explorer?

My icon has changed colors. It looks like it's only 16 colors now. It was fine yesterday, with all the 32bit glory :), but now it looks different. I want to change it back to the way it suppose to look. My display is set at 32 bit already, and I restarted and shutdown and it still looks pityful. It's just a stupid icon, why can't I change it back. Its probably some stupid thing I'm overlooking. But it shouldn't have changed by itself.

Please Help. :(

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Did you check your properties to see if your colors had changed settings?
    Right click on an empty place on your desktop & go to properties.
    Then click the tab that says settings.
    Savvy :)

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I have to ask you one question first. Did you upgrade to Internet Explorer 6? IF you did, the lighter color is normal. They changed the Icon.

4. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

The settings hasn't changed. They were 16bit, and were always 16bit. I changed it to 32bit just in case, but no luck. The icon still looks the same. :(

No, I didn't upgrade either. :( In fact, the E is suppose to be lighter. But it changed to a darker color. What I don't get is that it did that for no reason at all.
    I was playing a game, which locked up, after I quite the program, that is when I noticed the change.:confused:

It's suppose to look like this...[​IMG]

Now it looks like this...[​IMG]
    :eek:

I don't know how to change it back. I can't right click on it, like other icons, because it brings up internet options instead. I hope sombody can help me. :( This happened the other day, but I just restarted my computer and it was back to normal, this time that doesn't help. :(

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Try updating your drivers.

6. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

How does updating drivers help change my icon back? :confused: It just changed for no reason at all. I think it should change back for no reason at all. ;) What drivers?

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I mean update the drivers to your display adapter. Go to settings/control panel/system/device manager look for display adapter & also monitor... update boths drivers. Click on the device then go to properties & then update drivers.

8. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

*sigh* Sure, I'll give it a shot I guess. :( I know it's probably stupid for me to get all upset over a small icon. But I want it changed back. :(

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

One more thing.... is the E the only thing that changed????????????????? Now Im wondering if you just need to replace the icon??????????? Go to the E & right click / go to properties & when the properties panel comes up you have a button that says change icon... look at it & see if there is a darker blue E there.

10. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

Yes!! :) the E is the only thing that has changed. The desktop hasn't. Just the E icon. I've tried right-clicking on it. But that doesn't work with the E icon. Internet options pop up instead.

[​IMG]

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

have you made Internet Explorer your default?

12. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

Yes, it's the only one I have. :confused: Why did the icon change then after the game I was playing crashed?

13. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

you know what... this is getting very difficult & it was supposed to be simple.... somethings missing in this chain of links.

ok... look at this

Add / Remove IE Components

To add additional Internet Explorer components, your computer must be able to browse the internet (if you downloaded Internet Explorer from the Internet) or you must have access to the Internet Explorer CD-ROM. You do not need an Internet connection or CD-ROM to remove components.

Adding Additional Components

Internet Explorer 4.0 and 4.01:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Add/Remove Programs.

On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 in the list of installed programs, and then click Add/Remove.

Click "Add a component to Internet Explorer," and then click OK.

The Internet Explorer Component Download page is opened. When you are prompted for Internet Explorer to check for components already installed, click Yes.

In the Component Download page, click to select the check boxes for components you want to add or upgrade, and then click Next.

Click a download site, and then click Install Now. Follow any additional instructions on the screen.

If you are prompted to restart your computer, do so.

Internet Explorer 5:

On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 in the list of installed programs, and then click Add/Remove.

Click "Add a component to Internet Explorer," and then click OK.

In the Windows Update dialog box, click the installation type you want, and then click to select the check boxes for the components you want to install.

Note: Components in bold are already installed and do not need to be updated.

Click Next, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

Windows 98:
    Click Start, and then click Windows Update.

On the Microsoft Windows Update Web page, click Product Updates.

Click Yes when you receive the following prompt:
    Windows Update
    This program can determine what components are installed on your computer, and whether new components, upgrades, or enhancements are available, specific to your computer. This check is done without sending any information to Microsoft.

Would you like to check now?
    Click to select the check boxes for the components you want to install, and then click Download.

Click Start Download, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

Removing Components

Internet Explorer 4.0, 4.01, 5:

On the Install/Uninstall tab, in the list of installed programs, click the component you want to remove, and then click Add/Remove.

When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click Yes.

Windows 98:
    Click Start, and then click Windows Update.

On the Microsoft Windows Update Web page, click Product Updates.

Click Yes when you receive the following prompt:
    Windows Update
    This program can determine what components are installed on your computer, and whether new components, upgrades, or enhancements are available, specific to your computer. This check is done without sending any information to Microsoft.

Would you like to check now?
    Click Show Installed Updates.

Locate the component you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.

I hope something there will help you get a darker blue e

14. JamesBone

JamesBone Thread Starter

I have IE 5.0. And it's what came with my computer, so I don't have an IE Cd-Rom. I pretty sure I was downloading something off the internet but I'm not sure about that. What ever I was doing, I decided to keep myself from being bored while waiting, I would play some Need For Speed:HS. I done this before without problems, so I didn't hesitate to do it again. I started the game up and the screen went black and nothing happened. After I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del several times and trying to turn the computer off, it finally went back to the desktop. I pressed End Task, and a hibernation box was popped up. I must have pushed the a hibernation button too. :confused: I always wondered what that button was below my power button. Internet Explored crashed after that, so I just disconnected and tried playing the game again. Same thing happened. I restarted the computer and was playing around with a midi file, and I noticed the E was different. It looked like this now.[​IMG]
    I shutdown the computer and started it back up again. This happened before, I don't know how, but that what I did to fix it. When the computer came back on it was still the same.[​IMG] I don;t know what would cause it to change. :confused: I'm sad, I want it back to normal. :( [​IMG]

15. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system... go get AVG. Click here to download AVG

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

this should keep you in pretty good shape

cleanup your harddrive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice