1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with DOS program in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pr0m1nd, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pr0m1nd

pr0m1nd Thread Starter

Hello,
    first sorry for bad english and if the post is not for here than moved it.

Now,
    I have a dos-based program located on separate computer with XP proffessional. 6 computers with the same program on local network. The 6 computers uses the first one to read and write the *.dbf files that the program uses for records.
    Example: PC2 is in the dos program. When i made modifications in the program (like new rows) PC2 send the information over the network and modify the file named 1.dbf.
    All the computers make the same thing.
    And here is a problem.
    The communication is very slow. Dos program performance is awful and the biggest problem is that the other computers fill the 1.dbf file (located on PC1) with wrong data.

Can anyone tell me is that the problem with the dos program communication with network,only the network problem with Dos program and XP.

Thanks in advance, i hope i explain it intelligibly.

2. pip22

pip22

DOS is dead for all but die-hard techies. Buy something that runs natively in Windows!

3. pr0m1nd

pr0m1nd Thread Starter

The problem is that is software for managing warehouse and at this moment this is what we got. I know that dos is dead and believe me i don't want to manage with it but ... nothing i can do for the moment exept to try to make it faster so my colegues to work with no problems. If there is any solution or smbdy know how to resolve my problem ....i'll be greatfull :)

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't understand what's "slow". DOS is so old and requires so little computing power, that if it's running on hardware manufactured in the last 15 years, it will run much faster than at the speed intended. If network file transfers are slow, maybe you have a problem with your network.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Looks like you have a dBase or Foxpro custom application.
    Since you say
    . I would check everything related to the network. Eg
    . does the network cable have a cut or tear?
    . does other networking appilications run OK ? Like Internet Explorer ?
    . Can you copy and paste files across the network to folder shares ?
    . is the network card fully inserted in it's slot?

If only one PC is inserting wrong data into the database, check that PC's RAM with memtest.

6. pr0m1nd

pr0m1nd Thread Starter

Lunarlander thanks,
    i'll check everything that you say but there is no problem with other appz (i use Firefox not IE), file transfer is good and there are no restriction over the network.
    I think the problem maybe that the files that are too big. Ex: the 1.dbf file that i told you is about 500MB of data. The data that should be transfered is about 20-30MB in sec. (i think so). So, at this moment my network is 100mbit and the max speed is about 12-13mb/sec. In the end of the week i'll try to make it 1Gbit and will see is there any improvement in the work.

And there is no just one PC that puts wrong data in the PC that i use like server. All the PC's make problems.

7. pr0m1nd

pr0m1nd Thread Starter

And another question. I found this solution in the net so i want to ask you will this improve the stability and speed of the program if i run the program in separate memory space by editing the keys as shown below.

Open your registry and find or create the key below.
    Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "MemCheckBoxInRunDlg" and set it according to the value data below.
    Exit your registry; you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    Value Name: MemCheckBoxInRunDlg
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = show checkbox)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice