1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with DVD-ROM drive in XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coderitr, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I posted this in this group because I'm convinced this is a problem with XP and not the hardware itself. (It worked fine until I started using XP.) This system is one I've built myself and everthing works wonderfully except as listed below.

Ever since I started using XP home i have not been able to use my DVD-ROM drive. It is a Sony 16X drive with RealMagic Hollywood+ hardware decoder card. Occasionally it will work and I will be able to watch a movie or whatever but then I'll stop the movie and go do something else and when I come back XP does not even recognize there's a disc in the drive. Very annoying. My system specs are as follows:

P4 2.8 gHz
    256 MB RAM (PC2700)
    Serial-ATA 120GB drive (rocks!!!)
    52x CDRW
    16X DVDROM
    RealMagic Hollywood+ DVD decoder installed (PCI)

When I installed the driver for the decoder card, XP told me that I was not digitally signed even though the manufacturer's web site lists it as working with XP.

Also, can anyone tell me how I can use Windows Media Player with this drive because the RealMagic software chews!

Thanks in advance.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

Yes, I have seen that article and downloaded the latest driver from sigmadesigns. I am not getting any error message from the system when I attempt to play a dvd. When I try to browse the disc with windows explorer, it prompts me to insert a disc into the drive. The strangest part about it is the intermittency. Occasionally it will work but most times it doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

4. Dan O

Dan O

I had a simular problem with an ACE CD burner, which refused to work in a PC. I purchased another brand (Link Bus) and it worked immediatlely without any problems. I placed the ACE CD burner into another PC and it worked immediatlely. Conclusion, sometimes a device is just not compatible with the other components within a PC, and you have to try another.

5. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

I reached pretty much the same conclusion. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought before I gave up on it.

Thanks for the input

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice