1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with DVD-RW/CD-RW

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by SonhadorPR, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SonhadorPR

SonhadorPR Thread Starter

Hello all.
    I am on a Compaq Presario PC with WinXP Pro.
    I am using a DVD-RW/CD-RW that has suddenly given me problems.
    It is a generic brand DVD drive, however it is installed(or the system reads it like) TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S182D, made by Samsung. The problem I'm having is that it won't play any DVDs. Real DVDs, recorded DVDs, DATA DVDs. Nothing. However, it will read Audio CDs and DATA CDs.
    Here is the error msg it gives me:
    this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create
    an association in the folder options control panel
    What does it mean?
    How can I fix it?
    The WMP doesn't play DVDs and neither does the Real Player 10.
    So, I don't know what to do.
    Thank you for your help.
    ROM

2. zyper95

zyper95

You are missing the appropriate codec to run DVDs. Update your media player codec or you may use another media player such as Media Player Classic.

3. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

have u done a firmware update for that drive lately? mine updated just last week to new firmware & could affect performance. to associate dvd files with a specific player, try control panel >tools> folder options >file types & scroll til u find dvd then click dvd video & advance to associate it with the player of your choice. what software were u using 2 watch dvd's b4? :D

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

I'd guess wtxcowboy is on the button with the DVD association issue and there's certainly no harm in updating your firmware !
    Does your DVD drive recognise there is a DVD inserted ? If so you could explore the disk (right-click your dvd drive , click explore) then right-click on any ifo file and select Open With .. . Select 'Choose Program' . Point to WMP and check the 'Always Use The Selected Application' box . This is only a temp fix as you would always have to browse to the ifo file on your dvd although obviously you would only have to click on the ifo in future to load the title into WMP . I doubt you'll need to use it but it may help someone down the line :)

5. SonhadorPR

SonhadorPR Thread Starter

For some reason, it wasn't working....what I had done was delete the Roxio bruning software, re-installed it, and now everything works fine.
    Thank you all for your replies.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice