1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with DVD-RW Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by James Crosso, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

I recently purchased an installed a Lite-On DVD-RW Drive. For about a month the drive worked quite well.

Just yesterday, I inserted a CD-ROM. I tried to select the CD-ROM and copy it to the hard drive so that I could avoid inserting it each time. I selected all the files and folders on the CD-ROM and hit copy. During the copy process, the drive made funny noises like it was struggling to spin the disc, and I eventually cancelled the copy.

I went back and tried the copy again, and it worked successfully.

However, now, when I try to play a DVD-ROM in the drive, the performance is intermittant. THe sound and video is choppy.

I do not know what happened to the drive, or if it is broken. I was watching DVD's on it just before this all transpired.

Would anybody be willing to offer me some help in solving this problem?

Thanks,
    James Crosson

2. James Crosso

Nobody has any thoughts?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the drive still making noises?

Go to Device Manager and expand the IDE ATAPI Controllers heading. Double click the Secondary IDE controller adn check the transfer speeds. Is the drive running in DMA or PIO mode?

4. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

is it external or internal?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Wow, that was weird. Edited my thread as I'm assuuming it is internal.

6. James Crosso

All of you thanks for your help. The drive is internal. Under Secondary IDE Channel Device 0 is listed as PIO Only and Device 1 is listed as DMA If Available.

I think the drive is on Device 0 and because I don't have a second device.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your continued help.

James

7. James Crosso

Before you guys tell me to do so, I tried changing the drive to "DMA if Available" but the mode has stayed PIO (Unless I have to restart - It didn't tell me to).

I am skeptical however because, why would a simply file transfer derail a drive from functionality? It does not make noises anymore, and seems to access files on the drive okay, but the DVD playback which worked yesterday deteriorated and does not work.

I have not made any hardware changes at this time. I just don't understand.

James

8. James Crosso

Any ideas?

9. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Are you using any 3rd party programs for DVD Playback?

10. James Crosso

I am using PowerDVD and i have also used NVDvd. I personally feel that PowerDVD is better software, but NvDVD works with my remote.

Regardless, both programs produce the same choppy behavior.

Does anybody have any idea what they think it could be?

James

11. James Crosso

I have recently also started to notice that playback of MP3's with Windows Media Player skips, however infrequently, when I am typing.

This happens despite having 1Gb RAM and new components - any while being an advanced computer user, nothing ordinary is out of line or changed from when this has started.

I am well protected from virus' and internet threats, although I never rule it out.

But I am wondering if that could be related? The stutter in WMP playback is not frequenty and is not too prevalant, but it definitely only occurs when I am using some sort of input device.

12. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

How big is your power supply and what are the full system specs?

13. James Crosso

My power supply is 400Watts.

I have a CHaintech NJIL1 motherboard, Athlon 3300+ XP, 1GB PC3300 Ram. I've got a 128Mb Personal Cinema Video Card by CHaintech

The DVD drive worked fine beffore the file transfer yesterdayt.

14. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

hmmm...maybe a busted drive, I have a Sony CDRW drive here that one day just stopped burning/reading blank cd's. Still reads manufactured cd's. Sounds like yours did something like mine.

Might just be defective or low quality, although Lite-on's tend to be decent drives. You could try cleaning the laser lens in the drive, which would void the warranty, so if its still under warranty Id say skip the cleaning and send it back to lite on for repair/replacement.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice