1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with enabling cookies

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bettyruth, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bettyruth

bettyruth Thread Starter

For the last 2 or 3 weeks I've had trouble with certain websites "remembering" me, even though my cookies are enabled and I have my security in the "medium" zone. This is especially a problem with hotmail, where it now asks for my password every time, even though I've checked the box to remember me and it was never a problem before. I've gone through their tech support, done all the suggested troubleshooting, and it seems they can no longer help. Is there some reason why my IE is no longer accepting or allowing some cookies? (Most websites where I have accounts do still remember me.) I'm running WindowsXP with SP2, and IE 6.0+.
    Thank you!

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

hotmail does not remember my password either, even though i tell it too.....no worry to me though. because if that is the least of the problems i have on the internet. i am more than happy to enter my password all day long. (y) :D

3. bettyruth

bettyruth Thread Starter

Thanks, that does put things into perspective, JD. However as often as I log into hotmail every day it's a time-consuming nuisance. But yes, things could be worse. :eek:

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. My hotmail is doing the same thing. Perhaps it's something new? Or perhaps it's SP2 trying to protect us?

5. bettyruth

bettyruth Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome! :) That could be (re: SP2) although the problem didn't start until the last couple of weeks. I don't have trouble with automatic log-ins at other sites, just hotmail -- yet they say it's not them, it's something with my settings. Could it have something to do with Passport? That shows up in the URL and the log-in window now, which it never used to do (I don't think, anyways....)

6. ~Candy~

That's been there for a while too. I think, although I could be mistaken because I don't get to my mail that way, if you are logged into MSN messenger automatically, your email will keep the login settings too.

7. Lamees

Lamees

Same here guys!

I also have a problem with that msn..i can log in and can't log out!
    I'm all the time asked about my password and even when i write it it seems as if i wrote nothing! They redirect me to the same page. There is no problem with the cookies for they r fine with the rest of the web sits. Donno what's happening.

8. bettyruth

bettyruth Thread Starter

Aca Candy, if I activated my Messenger do you think it might fix the problem? Or am I over-simplifying? (I never use Messenger and don't have it set up to log in automatically.)

9. bettyruth

bettyruth Thread Starter

Lamees, did the problem with your msn just start within the last month? Maybe it's related to the hotmail problem...

10. Lamees

Lamees

Yes, Betty. It has been driving me nuts over the last two or three weeks:(
    But there is something strange: the problem happens only with my account; my brother uses the same pc and nothing is wrong with him. Am I the only one here facing bad luck or what?!!

11. ~Candy~

Not sure what you mean by activating Messenger? :confused:

12. bettyruth

bettyruth Thread Starter

Not sure what I mean either! :eek: When you referred to MSN Messenger previously, is that a different program than Windows Messenger? I plead ignorance, having never used either one. By "activate", I mean open the program. (Am probably using the wrong terminology...)

13. ~Candy~

They are kind of the same, but not totally. I notice when I log into MSN messenger, it tells me how many emails I have. I 'think' if I click that link, I don't have to sign in again............my MSN messenger also has an option to keep the password, but I don't like that option as other people 'borrow' my computer ;)

14. bettyruth

bettyruth Thread Starter

AcaCandy,
    I just got to thinking -- what if I deleted all cookies in my cookie file? Do you think that might somehow re-set hotmail's memory of me, by clearing the cookie slate and "starting over" next time I log in? Of course that would be a temporary inconvenience with other websites, (who wouldn't remember me at first) but worth it if it fixed the problem.... :rolleyes:

15. ~Candy~

Certainly can't hurt ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice