Problem with External Hard Drive enclosures

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wdavis711

I have two Vantec's NexStar 2 - 3.5" Hard Drive enclosures that will not work with my new system or on my laptop. (They worked fine with my old system).
I am running Windows XP with SP1.
After installing them they worked briefly (for less than an hour) with my new system then stopped. Device manager shows the device with a yellow check on it, but I am unable to fix this. The driver is the most up to date, I have tried removing the device, rebooting and letting device manager install it. I have tried several things all without effect.
In Computer Management Device Manager the computer see’s the HD Enclosure but it will not assign a drive letter or allow me to access them.
I have tried updated/uninstalling/reinstalled the drivers, tried USB2 and firewire all with the same result.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Are the Vantec NexStar enclosures USB powered ?
It's possible that the laptop is not able to "power them" and might need some sort of power brick or get a powered USB hub.
Also do you use the original cable that came with the enclosures. Might wanna try a better USB cable ( quality wise. Rare, but it happens )
HTH

Well the "Yellow Check" on it is NOT a good sign. It means that there is a problem that has been identified by the OS.

Have you tried the "troubleshooter" (not that this ever works :rolleyes: ) ???

Will the drives STILL work on another system?

I doubt if you'll get any satisfaction until you can clear the "Yellow Check".

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online