1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with external USB network 'card'

Discussion in 'Networking' started by golddust, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Recently got my internet service upgraded to 150 mbps and all computers in the house got upgraded network cards to 10/100/1000. Only problem is my HP p2 1310 machine. The network card is part of the motherboard so cannot be removed to upgrade and there's no additional slot for a new card. Because of this, my only alternative was an external USB version that my hard wire plugs into. Tiger Direct recommended this one (picture attached), but after being installed for a few days my internet keeps disconnecting. It got progressively worse. If I unplug and replug it in, it clears up for a few hours then starts disconnecting again. I've disabled the installed network device so that's not the problem. Someone told me I needed to get into the BIOS to really disconnect it, but in Windows 8.1 (or maybe it's the way HP set it up) the screens are so different (for starters they are light blue, not the b&w we've seen in the past), I don't know what choices to make to get to that part - or is it even available anymore?

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP p2-1310 Desktop PC (comes with Windows 8 64-bit)

It has Atheros AR8152 10/100 Mb/s 10-Base-T Ethernet

Its motherboard has no expansion slots for installing an ethernet card. :(

Attached Files:

3. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Not trying to be sarcastic here, but I already mentioned that in my original post. It's the last part of the post where my actual question is - about the BIOS and whether there is something there that may require attention pertaining to the old card that might be interfering with the new adaptor.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm aware of that.

I'm just agreeing with and expanding on what you said.

Click the orange "Report" link and then request to be moved to the NETWORKING section.

TerryNet and etaf and the other networking experts there can better help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

OK done. Thanks. Was debating whether to put it there originally but since it was a hardware issue decided to come here instead.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Because the integrated ethernet device is a 10/100 Mb/s 10-Base-T model and not a Gigabit model, I doubt if it will make full use of your 150 Mbps service.

One of the networking experts can confirm that.

Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a defective adapter. If not too late get a replacement or refund.

You could get a second opinion about the "defective" part by trying it on another computer.

8. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Should have mentioned we already tried it on another computer with no problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice