1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with externel drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by csfau, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. csfau

csfau Thread Starter

hi everyone

im having a problem that i cant detect any externel drive while i connect to the usb port.

when i plug in the pendrive to the usb port, it can detect the drive, but cant show out the contents or drive volumn in my computer.

alright, my questions are as follow:-
    1. why this problem occur?
    2. how can i solve this problem?

Warmest regards
    Fau

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What version of Windows do you have running on the PC?

Were the files written on the external drive using this PC, or are they from another PC?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This sounds exactly like corrupted USB parameters, try this fix and see if that doesn't get the drive working normally.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460713