1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Failure on internal hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jolly1808, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jolly1808

jolly1808 Thread Starter

hi there, thanks alot for reading this, this is my problem,

the pc = Dell latitude D610
    Windows XP home
    intel centrino

the problem =
    when i boot the pc i get an error message saying "read failure on internal hard drive" it then gives me the options to enter setup or to re-boot.

i run the dell diagnostics from the system setup and get this.

error detected on "start DST short test"
    error code: 1000-0146
    Msg: 0: IDE status failed, stats byte: 64 control code = 1 Msg: No additional Sense Infoormation.

also, at the end of the diagnostic it says
    Test result = fail
    error code = 1000-0141
    Msg: No drive detected.

ok, thanks for any help/addvice you can give me.
    jolly1808

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Take the disk out, check that the adapter is on properly and refit it.
    If that doesn't solve the problem then you either have a faulty disk, or the controller on the motherboard is faulty (less likely).
    You can get an adapter to try the disk in a desktop machine as a slave.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would suggest getting an adapter from your local computer store and making this drive a slave drive in a desktop computer and if successful at that time make a backup of all of your important data right away, do not wait until later usually later means you will not get the data.

Then put the hard drive back in the laptop and try using the recovery disks to re-install back to when you purchased it. If this does not work then I would suggest purchasing a new hard drive possibly of larger capacity from the manufacturer of the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice