1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with floppies in XP Pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by comtrain9, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comtrain9

comtrain9 Thread Starter

Forum,

I downloaded a whole bunch of internet images onto 1.44 MB floppies using Windows 98 on an older HP desktop model over a period of several years. I've stored them in various protective containers. I purchased a new computer in 2007-Power Spec 9201 with a dual core. It now runs Windows XP Service Pack 3. I was hoping to eventually transfer the pictures and mpegs and flvs to DVDs and/or CD-Rs. Problem is, I'm having real compatibility issues. The USB floppy disc drive I purchased may not be the problem. But, the USB won't allow me to open the pictures, properly. I get various messages: the diskette isn't formatted properly, or Windows tells me that it is an Unknown Disk Format, or that avgrsx.exe has a corrupt file and I need to run the Chkdisk. Sometimes, part of the image shows up and the rest is a jumble of beautiful rainbow color bands, or the image shows up totally blurred, or nothing shows.

When I first purchased this computer back in 2007 it ran on XP 2 and I didn't have too much trouble opening these images and movies. But, I converted to XP 3, which I like. I'm just wondering if there's any way I can re-access these images and clips using different instruction, settings, software or hardware. Or, are they lost forever and I need to simply erase them-assuming my Windows allows me to. I was able to re-format one disk; I wasn't allowed to re-format a different disk, and I wasn't allowed to erase some images when I tried to.

I still have the old desktop, but I'd like to avoid having to rehook it up and take care of reformatting or erasing the stuff on the old one, if I can. If I must destroy everything, I'd prefer to use this machine. It's just more convenient is all-and reformatting would be much quicker on this present device.

But, I'd like to save the image so I can transfer them. Again, no point in transferring them, if you can't help me find a way to open them in this, relatively newer, device. Thanks.

Comtrain 9

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Floppy drives are notorious for not tracking with others. If you have usb ports on the old rig, try reading the floppies with its drive and copying them to a usb flash drive.

You can also try them in some floppy drive of a convenient friend. It the luck of the draw as to whether you hit on a drive that tracks like your old one did.

A DCC or network hookup would also work for transferring.

3. Rockn

Rockn

What format are the diskettes? It should say on the front of the diskette

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice