1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with frequent subwoofer blowing!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Theaveragepunk, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Theaveragepunk

Theaveragepunk Thread Starter

Hey guys.. I am a new member and have joined to seek a solution to a very annoying problem.

I have recently bought the Logitech z623 THX-CERTIFIED 2.1 speakers. These speakers are rated for 200w RMS (35x2 sattelites and a 130w subwoofer).

The problem is that whenever i crank the volume past 75% and bass past 50%. The subwoofer gets lively but after a few hours,it blows after emitting a weird smell... It still works but there is a crackle from the cone.

I have replaced the unit 2 times in a week already and I need a proper solution and not cranking it up to high volumes is not an option for me... It think the in-built amp is not powerful enough and the sub blows easily..

Please provide me with a cheap and DIY solution.. Thanks a lot!!!

Ps- I've uploaded the specification in a screenshot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you have answered your own question, assuming the rest of the audio system is working properly, that particular sub-woofer can't handle the volume you want.

3. Theaveragepunk

Theaveragepunk Thread Starter

Yeah but what should I do now... I know it can't handle that volume in it's own... There must be something to tackle this situation by connecting any device or something?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You've blown 3 of those sub-woofers already, either keep the volume down or get a sub-woofer that can handle the volume you want.

plodr likes this.
  5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Found this, sounds weird " When you first set it up, let it run at a low - normal volume and slowly increase it over the next few days. My first set smelled like burning rubber when I blasted it right out the box. After a few days you should be golden to use any sound level." Sounds like their quality control is lacking. I saw many complaints on the web about the subs failing on this model. Back in the 80's a friend of mine was blowing speakers with a radio shack brand amp, it had something to do with the output to the speaker direct coupled to the transistor output of the amp. Had to send it back to the factory and they added a capacitor or something. I replaced my Boston Acoustics with a Cyber Acoustics CA-3908 , not as powerful but suits my wife when she is jamming with You tube Videos.

plodr likes this.
  6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Frankly, if you want better audio quality (and volume), you should be working with real audio equipment and not computer hardware. Even budget home audio hardware sounds better than the high end computer hardware.

7. tecknurd

tecknurd

Blown speakers or damaged speakers can happen by clipping, having too little power, having too much power, bottoming out by the former hitting the back plate or top plate, bad box design, or increasing the level of a frequency or group of frequencies through equalizing. Controlling how much volume or loudness should always be done to minimize damage.

Code:
    http://www.eminence.com/support/how-speakers-work/
    http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

Nothing going to be cheap for audio DIY as a hobby because you always want more and more and more. It's best set a goal and try to achieve it in this hobby. The following should start you on the crazy of the audio DIY hobby.

Code:
    https://www.parts-express.com
    https://www.diysoundgroup.com

8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Agree with the above. The room also has a profound effect on bass performance. It boils down to being realistic with what to expect out of a particular piece of equipment.

For my gaming PC, I have an old Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker system. The sub is maybe a 6" driver at best. It produces enough bass for me with the games I play and have never had the urge to want more.

My big A/V system however is different. That one is a 5.2 system where I have 2 subs in the system each operating at a set frequency range from another. The Velodyne HGS15II is operating from 80 Hz to about 40 Hz. The Velodyne DD18 is operating from 40 on down. The HGS15II is obviously a 15" sub in a fully sealed cabinet with the voice coil servo controlled powered by an internal 1250W RMS amp. The DD18 is a 18" sub in a fully sealed cabinet also with a servo controlled voice coil powered by an internal 1250W RMS amp. The weight of the magnets for both subs is I think 19 or 24 lbs.

Depending on your room setup, you may be able to help your situation by placing the sub closer to the corner of the room. The corner helps with augmenting bass but may cause the bass you get to be muddy and bloated.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice