1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with geforce 4, possibly 44.03 nvidia driver issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkenReaper, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkenReaper

DarkenReaper Thread Starter

Alright, heres my setup: 1.8 ghz athlon 2200+ xp, 512 MB pc3200 ram, geforce 4 4600, a monitor refreshing at 60 Hz, and winxp pro. Now, up until now, i have had NO problems running counter-strike (and other games) at 1152x864, runs smooth at 60 fps (i enabled vsync, otherwise the images suffer from tearing). I also had 4x antialiasing and 4x ansioptropic filtering enabled. Now, i WAS running on the 41.09 detonator drivers for a long time, and as i said ive had no problems.
    I discovered new drivers were out, the 44.03 ones, most specifically designed to take advantage of the geforce FX's. However, nvidia drivers work for all cards from TNT2 until the most recent stuff. I wanted to get the drivers because i read of the 30% performance increase, etc. However, i now suffer from a MAJOR decrease in performance, and low framerates which i have never experienced. I also noticed lots of image tearing, and the lack of smoothness when object move. This began soon after i installed the new drivers, they may not be the problem, but im pretty sure they are.
    I uninstalled the drivers, and installed the old ones again, however when i reinstalled, it told me there were previous drivers to uninstall, even though i did so already, so i just clicked yes to continue anyway. I rebooted, and CS ran fine. I rebooted again, and CS had the same probs as before. So i uninstalled everything, went into explorer, searched and deleted all the .dll files i could find relating to my card, and reinstalled the old drivers. I did not however, delete keys in my registry (didnt kno which ones to delete). It still said drivers existed, i didnt kno what else to take out, but i reinstalled. Played CS, same old prob. I repeated this with the new drivers, didnt work.
    I am hoping someone can help me, or at least give me a tech email who can, since i could not find one on nvidia's site. Thank you for anyone who attempts to help me in my endevour.

2. Derrick

Derrick

Do a clean install of the drivers. go into properties and uninstall the drivers for the geforce then boot into safe mode and ignore the new hardware thing or cancel it and install the new drivers then reboot see if that works. Just installed the new ones as well but havent tested them yet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/136683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice