Problem with Gmail password reset

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
The two account must’ve been ‘merged’ by Google so both email addresses act the same when signing in.
Did you sign out of the Mac & clear the browser’s cookies & cache? If not then this device may be preventing you from logging in if you’re still logged in there.

Rain1290

The two account must’ve been ‘merged’ by Google so both email addresses act the same when signing in.
Did you sign out of the Mac & clear the browser’s cookies & cache? If not then this device may be preventing you from logging in if you’re still logged in there.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - As I no longer work there, I don't have access to that device, and so my last login there was June 19th, 2018. I do remember logging out of there, though (out of habit to not stay logged in to a device outside my home), but I did not clear the cache.

You mentioned previously that the account could also be locked for 30 days somehow because of frequently attempting to login (even though there was no message saying that there were too many failed attempts yet)? Could that be causing the "Forgot password" option to loop like that?

Rain1290

It’s possible however I can’t find any suggestion that an account is locked for 30 days after repeated attempts to log in. Only that it’s taking a long time for users to get a reply, if at all. Usually it should be 3-5 days.

Someone in a similar position did this:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/01/how-to-recover-quickly-if-you-get-locked-out-of-google
Hi Goddess-Bastet - Thank you for sharing this. Since I cannot login into Google One in light of the same sequence of issues (much like trying to login into YouTube), I can likely use Google One via the new Google account that I created and try to recover my original Google account from there? Although people in the comments below mention that this does not work (while having to pay an annual fee)?

Someone there mentioned in a comment below to try logging in using Incognito Mode in Google Chrome. Should I first try reactivating Incognito Mode (since it is now disabled) and login that way?

Last edited:

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
The link seems to suggest the user recovered their account via Google One without having to log in first. It states to Select a storage option & set this up, then choose Call. I wouldn’t like to suggest you try adding the storage to your new account then contacting Google about your old account in case this doesn’t work.

Incognito mode is worth a try.

Have you tried a different recovery email address - one not connected to your Google account?
Did you have the Google authenticator or another authenticator app connected to your Google account? In theory this should allow you access but it needed to be added before the problem occurred.

Rain1290

There’s also this:
https://support.google.com/accounts/contact/disabled2
A thought has occurred: Double-check you’re using the correct Country setting when trying to sign in - I’ve just checked & it automatically shows English - US rather than UK.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - it seems that when I try to choose a storage option, as shown here Plans & Pricing - Google One , it prompts me to choose a Google account to proceed. Since I cannot choose my old Google account right now, should I choose my new account?

It also seems that I cannot choose the "Free" option that includes 15 GBs of storage. Is this because all Google accounts have this by default? If so, and I choose to upgrade to the (recommended) 100 GBs there, would I have the option to cancel the plan and, thus, just pay for the first month? The idea would be just to have access to the "Call" option and then withdraw from the plan.

When trying to use a recovery e-mail not connected to my Google account, it says "There's no Google Account with the info you provided."

I just tried with Incognito Mode in Google Chrome (now activated), but it is the same sequence of issues, unfortunately (as with InPrivate Mode in Microsoft Edge).

I also switched it from English-UK to English-US, but the Forgot password problem still persists.

I cannot be sure if there is a Google authenticator of some kind attached to my Google account, but is there a way to check?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Is there an authenticator app on your phone? If this shows a Google entry with a code then it’s been added to your account.
You would need to check to see if there’s a monthly option & see if there’s a minimum subscription period.

Rain1290

Is there an authenticator app on your phone? If this shows a Google entry with a code then it’s been added to your account.
You would need to check to see if there’s a monthly option & see if there’s a minimum subscription period.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - Would the authenticator application still exist on my phone, since I removed the Google account from it?

And I guess that I would have to use my new Google account to try the storage upgrade in order to access the "Call" option? I would also imagine that I cannot use the "Free" storage option since that is the default for all Google accounts?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Yes, the authenticator would still be on your phone if you downloaded it previously. Did you remove the account from the authenticator too?

No, you’d need the paid option to be able to call Google One. However I cannot guarantee whether they’d be able to help you unlock the old account if you purchased on another account.

Rain1290

Yes, the authenticator would still be on your phone if you downloaded it previously. Did you remove the account from the authenticator too?

No, you’d need the paid option to be able to call Google One. However I cannot guarantee whether they’d be able to help you unlock the old account if you purchased on another account.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - I, unfortunately, never downloaded the authenticator application to my phone previously (since I hardly make use of my phone). Would downloading it now on my phone still help in some way?

And yes, having a paid option would make sense in order to access those features, including being able to contact a representative by phone/e-mail/chat, from what I see. I also learned that you can cancel the subscription at any time. I was under the impression that it was impossible to get in touch with a live person from Google, but it turns out that this is the only way.

I realize that Google takes security quite seriously, and so it may prove to be difficult to convince them to reset my old Google account for me via my new account. That said, in order to maximize my chances for them to proceed, what sort of proof should I focus on in preparation for my discussion with a representative? I make the assumption that, based on what I presented in this thread, I would have enough evidence for them to go through with this?

Last edited:

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Unfortunately no, the authenticator needed to be set up beforehand.
They seem to require the answers to these:
The date the account was set up, although this may no longer be asked.
The last email sent.
The last password used on the account.
Last transaction on the account (if you have purchased an app or movie or music from GooglePlay).
Date of Birth.
Of these the date the account was set up, last password & last email sent seem to be the most important.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7299973?hl=en&ref_topic=3382255
A walkthrough on what you should see when using account recovery: http://gmailaccountrecovery.blogspot.com/

Rain1290

Unfortunately no, the authenticator needed to be set up beforehand.
They seem to require the answers to these:
The date the account was set up, although this may no longer be asked.
The last email sent.
The last password used on the account.
Last transaction on the account (if you have purchased an app or movie or music from GooglePlay).
Date of Birth.
Of these the date the account was set up, last password & last email sent seem to be the most important.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7299973?hl=en&ref_topic=3382255
A walkthrough on what you should see when using account recovery: http://gmailaccountrecovery.blogspot.com/
Hi Goddess-Bastet - I am in a position to confidently answer all of those questions, except the one for the last e-mail sent. This is because I hardly used my Gmail to send messages (only receive), so I cannot be sure when the last e-mail was sent. Could that be sufficient enough?

Thank you for providing those links, too, as they are very helpful!

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
I’m sure they can ask other questions if you can’t remember. They may asked for the details of the last email received or any recovery options added to the account instead.
When you went through the account recovery options did you try the option to recover your email address even though you already know it?

Rain1290

I’m sure they can ask other questions if you can’t remember. They may asked for the details of the last email received or any recovery options added to the account instead.
When you went through the account recovery options did you try the option to recover your email address even though you already know it?
Ah, yes, I had previously tried with the "Forgot email" option, even though I already know the Google email address. The steps taken and results given/described are shown in post #123 (with the 10 images I provided there). Are you able to see the images? If you cannot see the images in that post, please let me know, and I will happily re-post them here. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts