Problem with Gmail password reset

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Thanks. Is the photo which states there’s no account with that username the account you’re trying to recover?

Rain1290

Thanks. Is the photo which states there’s no account with that username the account you’re trying to recover?
You're very welcome! And yes, that is in relation to the account that I am trying to recover. If either the first or last names (or both) are entered incorrectly, that message comes up. Conversely, if the first and last names are correctly entered, what happens in Image #3 in that post comes up. Oddly enough, I noticed that for my last name, because I may have used my middle name together with my last name, entering both possibilities for my last name (i.e. either my last name, or my middle with my last name) seems to let me proceed. What could cause both ways to go through?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
If you have a first, middle & last name listed under your account & you try the option to recover the username then it may require all three to ensure Google find the correct address.
It’s most likely though it just requires the correct first & last name.

Rain1290

So the failure message is when you enter your first &/or last name incorrectly?
Hi Goddess-Bastet. That's exactly right. Here are the scenarios:

-First name and/or last name wrong: Error page (Image #2)
-First name correct only, with random/incorrect last name: Proceed (Image #3)

So, it seems that I have success to get to Image #3 if I enter just my last name OR my middle name + last name. Does this mean that as long as my last name is there (and the first name is correct), the system recognizes that it is okay to move on to Image #3?

*****EDIT: I discovered that as long as the first name is correct, it does not matter what you enter in the last name slot - it still lets me proceed by sending a verification code to my recovery e-mail. What does that imply?******

Last edited:

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
That is strange as it should require both the first & last name imo. Unless you have a rare forename.

Rain1290

That is strange as it should require both the first & last name imo. Unless you have a rare forename.
Yes, it is quite odd. As long as the first name is correctly entered, it seems to allow any last name. Could it be that I did not enter a last name when creating the account, or do you have to enter a last name during account creation?

Nevertheless, after the verification code sent to my recovery e-mail is entered, all it does is prompt me to select an account (which then prompts me to enter my password, and, thus, the whole cycle repeats), rather than proceed to more security questions/options.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
I would expect that first & last name is required to create an account.
As the verification code works but entering the old, current or new password doesn’t then the block is on Google’s end.
Does the account which you recently created use the same password (old or new) or a different one?

Rain1290

I would expect that first & last name is required to create an account.
As the verification code works but entering the old, current or new password doesn’t then the block is on Google’s end.
Does the account which you recently created use the same password (old or new) or a different one?
Yes, the verification code works just fine, but I am only transported back to the account selection screen, rather than proceeding to further recovery options.

And no, my newly created Google account uses a completely different password (i.e. different from the old/new password tied to my original account).

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Then it can’t be confusion over the password.
It’s as though the verification code is expiring or not valid when entered so is returning you to the beginning.

Rain1290

Then it can’t be confusion over the password.
It’s as though the verification code is expiring or not valid when entered so is returning you to the beginning.
Yes, indeed. It seems that, most likely, this would be a problem on Google's end? If so, it would make sense to try contacting them using the Google One option. I think the root of the problem was not receiving that follow-up e-mail after 48 hours (after July 8th's initial e-mail) to confirm/validate my newly created password, which is likely causing this looping effect. I do also have proof of the initial e-mail sent (on July 8th, confirming a password change request), so that could also be grounds to potentially help proceed with restoring my old account.

Last edited:

Rain1290

Hi Goddess-Bastet and everyone - Just to report that I was successful in speaking with a representative via Google One chat. Despite being on a different Google account, the representative was willing to take the time to go through the recovery steps that we have vigorously attempted to do throughout this thread. After seeing the looping effect that we have very well come to know here, the representative ultimately could not understand the extent or nature of the issue. For that reason, however, my case was escalated and, therefore, was transferred to some higher-tier persons, who, supposedly, will communicate with me via my new Google account in 24-48 hours (though it was not clear if this includes weekends). I was further told that I would receive a follow-up e-mail from the representative as my case goes through the escalation process.

I guess that all we can do is play the waiting game for now and hope that some resolution eventually comes out of this (there is seemingly a chance)! If I don't see anything from them after a sufficient number of days elapsed, I can always start a new chat with them (since I have the conversation saved to speed things up in that situation). I will keep everyone updated here, regardless.

Many thanks, once again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online