Problem with Gmail password reset

You can't have the same username for two different Gmail accounts so the other email must not be a Gmail one. For example you could have the following emails:
Rain1290@gmail.com, Rain1290@yahoo.com and Rain1290@outlook.com

Google accounts are different in that they don't even have to be associated with a Gmail account. For example you could have a Google account with username fred66@outlook.com. To confuse things even more the recovery email could be red66@outlook.com. Note that red66@outlook.com would be a real email at outlook.com so could be used for password recovery for the Google account.

Rain1290

You can't have the same username for two different Gmail accounts so the other email must not be a Gmail one. For example you could have the following emails:
Rain1290@gmail.com, Rain1290@yahoo.com and Rain1290@outlook.com

Google accounts are different in that they don't even have to be associated with a Gmail account. For example you could have a Google account with username fred66@outlook.com. To confuse things even more the recovery email could be red66@outlook.com. Note that red66@outlook.com would be a real email at outlook.com so could be used for password recovery for the Google account.
Oh, that's where I am confusing things. My apologies. Just to clarify, the 2 Gmail accounts have different e-mail addresses.

For example:

Rain1290@gmail.com
Rain1700@gmail.com

I think what I mean by "username" is the name that you can make others see you as. For example, when I send a message to someone, I can choose how my name appears when a message is received. In both cases, I set it to "Rain1290", but the e-mail addresses are very much different. If you try to use the same e-mail for the new account, I think that the system will tell you that it has already been taken before you can proceed with it, right?

Does that make sense?

Sorry about the confusion!

The NAME in the account is not unique. The same name can be used in all your email addresses. In fact anyone can have that same NAME as you do because the only thing that has to be different is the email address itself. Gmail won't let you create a new Gmail account using an Gmail account that is already in use.

Thanks, MisterEd51 - there are quite a bit of scams out there that claim to be a helpline for Google, so we do have to be very careful and not give out sensitive information!
If you Google, Google Help, you will be able to tell that the URL is authentic.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Yes, the account e-mails differ, but the username (Rain1290) is the same. I tried to login with my passwords as you suggested under both accounts, but in each case, I finish with "Wrong password".

Yes, the cache was cleared on both my browsers (Edge and Google Chrome). Should I try clearing it again?
You can try but I suspect the outcome will be the same.

Rain1290

You can try but I suspect the outcome will be the same.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - Yes, the result is, indeed, the same, unfortunately.

The only thing that I can think of is, as per post #31, removing the account from my phone (since I cannot access anything in my inbox there due to being out of synch with Google), in case it is causing a conflict somehow. What do you think?

Rain1290

If you Google, Google Help, you will be able to tell that the URL is authentic.
Thanks, NaderHussain. I cannot seem to use the URL directly - it gives a broad range of results, rather than a specific page. Would it be possible to share a direct link here, just in case I am missing something? Thanks, again!

Rain1290

The NAME in the account is not unique. The same name can be used in all your email addresses. In fact anyone can have that same NAME as you do because the only thing that has to be different is the email address itself. Gmail won't let you create a new Gmail account using an Gmail account that is already in use.
Yes, that makes sense, MisterEd51. :)

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Hi Goddess-Bastet - Yes, the result is, indeed, the same, unfortunately.

The only thing that I can think of is, as per post #31, removing the account from my phone (since I cannot access anything in my inbox there due to being out of synch with Google), in case it is causing a conflict somehow. What do you think?
I would try that.
I would also sign out of that account beforehand.

Rain1290

I would try that.
I would also sign out of that account beforehand.
Hi Goddess-Baste - I removed the account on my phone, but the problem persists, unfortunately, when attempting to sign in again.

Also, I decided to try logging in to another device (i.e. a device other than my laptop or phone - in this case, another laptop), but I ran into the same problem there. The only thing that is different on the other laptop when signing in is that when I enter my username, it prompts me to enter a code based on a sequence of squiggly/distorted letters that have to be repeated in order to proceed to enter my password. After doing that, it asks for my password, which, of course, leads to the same cycle of issues:

"Wrong password" for an incorrect password

"Your password was changed X days ago" when putting in the old password

"Google could not verify that this account belongs to you" when putting in the new, unconfirmed password, or when clicking on "Forgot password".

What about writing/drafting a detailed letter to Google and mailing it to them?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Unfortunately I doubt writing a letter would work. If you cannot prove to Google that you own the account via their automated questions then a letter wouldn’t make any difference to this.
I would say the account is unrecoverable at this point.
Yes, signing in on an unrecognisable device would require the Capcha (sp) code.

Rain1290

Unfortunately I doubt writing a letter would work. If you cannot prove to Google that you own the account via their automated questions then a letter wouldn’t make any difference to this.
I would say the account is unrecoverable at this point.
Yes, signing in on an unrecognisable device would require the Capcha (sp) code.
It is quite unfortunate, indeed. :(

Had it not been for YouTube being tied to Google accounts, this would not have been an issue - I would just create a new account without worry. If my YouTube account could be recovered somehow, that would actually be a very good thing, but it is tied to Google, unfortunately (as are so many applications, such as my Google Drive, as well). There was a time when YouTube had its own login, but then Google Plus came into the picture. :( Also frustrating that I happen to know all of the information tied to my account, but the glitch in the system prevents me from trying anything to go further into the recovery.

I guess that it is truly safe to say that I lost my account? Regardless of the outcome, everyone's help and diligence here was extremely useful!!!

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
It could be, but a glitch wouldn’t last this long - a few days maximum - unless Google don’t know about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online