Problem with Gmail password reset

Rain1290

It could be, but a glitch wouldn’t last this long - a few days maximum - unless Google don’t know about it.
Ah, I see. If not a glitch, what other problem could be causing something like this? Could it be that the account is frozen somehow (not necessarily hacked but frozen)?

It is also worth noting that the "Welcome" or "Hi Rain1290" that sometimes appears after entering the username/e-mail (please see examples in the two images below) is likely not related to the issue, as I see both of these scenarios appear when signing into my alternate Gmail account.

Attachments

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Does the ‘password changed x days ago’ message increase the date?
The ‘Hi Rain’ message suggests it is recognising you/the account so I can’t understand why it isn’t recognising the password Unless there’s a space at the beginning or the end accidentally entered when changing it.

Do you suspect the account has been hacked or are you referring to Google preventing access?
It may be the account is stuck in-between the password change so is not accepting the old or new password.
It may be the account is locked for up to 30 days due to the password recovery attempts.
If you attempt again does it give any date on which you can try again?

Rain1290

Does the ‘password changed x days ago’ message increase the date?
The ‘Hi Rain’ message suggests it is recognising you/the account so I can’t understand why it isn’t recognising the password Unless there’s a space at the beginning or the end accidentally entered when changing it.

Do you suspect the account has been hacked or are you referring to Google preventing access?
It may be the account is stuck in-between the password change so is not accepting the old or new password.
It may be the account is locked for up to 30 days due to the password recovery attempts.
If you attempt again does it give any date on which you can try again?
Hi Goddess-Bastet - Thank you for this response.

The "password changed x days ago" message does, indeed, change with each day that goes by, so it is at least not stuck on the same number of days elapsed. Like the new, unconfirmed password, this suggests that it recognizes the old password, correct?

When entering the new password (which was never confirmed because of the lack of a follow-up e-mail for further instructions, following that e-mail message to my recovery e-mail account (i.e. the AOL/AIM account) on July 8th)), I suspect that the system still recognizes it somehow. This is because I receive the red text message that appears underneath the password bar as either "Wrong password" when the wrong password is entered, or "Your password was changed X days ago" when entering the old password. When putting in my new, unconfirmed password, it moves on, but it says "Google could not verify that the account belongs to you". This suggests that the new password is recognized, but only to some degree. Does that make sense?

I don't believe the account is hacked, as it was me acting on my own to change the password earlier this month, but something went wrong during the change. It could very well be that something is stuck between the "enter password" stage and any steps that go beyond that.

It could be that the account would be locked for about a month after the recovery attempts, as you mention. I wonder if waiting that long is all that is needed for this issue?

I don't see a date on which I can try again. Did you mean after 30 days pass to try again?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also interesting to note is that when I try "Forgot email" as another option, several things happen. Here are the steps that I follow, as well as the results shown in the 10 images supplied (you may ignore the actual image labels to avoid confusion with my following step descriptions).

-I enter the first name, and then the last name, as shown in Image #1.

-If I enter any wrong name, Image #2 shows up.

-If I enter the correct first and last names, Image #3 shows up to enter a verification code that was sent to my recovery e-mail. However, note that when I enter two versions of the last name (i.e. two last names that I would use), it lets me proceed, oddly.

-Entering this code transports me to Image #4, to select an account (the account in question is the second selection there, with the orange circle icon).

-Selecting the account takes me to Image #5 (notice my name appearing at the top).

-Now, entering the new, unconfirmed password takes me to Image #6 (the usual "Google could not verify that this account belongs to you").

-From there, I can click on "Recover Account". This takes me to Image #7. There, I can enter the account username I want to recover.

-Once done, I am prompted to enter my password.....as shown in Image #8 (notice the "Welcome" at the top - I guess this is normal at this stage?).

-Instead of putting in the new, unconfirmed password, I click on "Try another way". That takes me to Image #9. This does me no good, unfortunately, so I then click on "Try again", which takes me back to enter my password, as in Image #8.

-With no other alternative, I now enter my new, unconfirmed password in Image #9. This leads me to Image #10.

-This obviously does me no good, as the verification is sent to the very account that I am trying to get into, rather than the recovery e-mail (AOL/AIM). ***Notice how it sends me a verification code to my AOL/AIM account previously but not at this stage!*** Why could that be?

-Finally, clicking on "Try another way" in Image #9 leads to "Google could not verify that this account belongs to you".

What do you think about these steps?
------------------------------------------------

Also, I am not sure if this has any relevance, but the day I attempted to change my Google account password, I saw a page randomly come up saying "You've gone Incognito". Thinking that this was a virus/malware of some sort, I attempted to change my password. Could that have anything to do with this issue?

Attachments

Rain1290

Thanks.
I would say the password was changed but you haven’t received any confirmation email so it seems stuck. The old password will no longer work if this is so.

If you’re using incognito mode/privacy mode then I wonder if this is the problem.
https://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Incognito-Mode-on-Google-Chrome the mode won’t save cookies or history.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - You're welcome!

I don't think that I was/am in Incognito mode, as I have to follow those steps in the link that you provide for it to activate. Thus, a new window pops up when it is in use. Unless, could it still be running in the background somehow and need to deactivate it completely, in case it is interfering somehow? It seems like a regular browser function that cannot be removed, however, and I don't see it in use anywhere in a separate window.

Also, I believe you are right about the new/old password problem because of the lack of a confirmation e-mail for the new password. Is there a way around such a problem? For example, is there a way to have Google re-send a new confirmation e-mail?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
It may be running in the background. I don’t use Google browser so I’m not sure whether it automatically turns off when the browser is closed or not.

Unfortunately not that I’m aware. All I’ve read is that the account is semi active so you’d need to be able to log in to the account to resend any confirmation email.
Are you using a Virtual private network?
I can only find the same suggestions from Google’s forum that you’ve probably seen & folowed:
https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/118374153/hacked-account-can-t-verify?hl=en
https://support.google.com/accounts..., I,A verification code will be sent... More

Rain1290

It may be running in the background. I don’t use Google browser so I’m not sure whether it automatically turns off when the browser is closed or not.

Unfortunately not that I’m aware. All I’ve read is that the account is semi active so you’d need to be able to log in to the account to resend any confirmation email.
Are you using a Virtual private network?
I can only find the same suggestions from Google’s forum that you’ve probably seen & folowed:
https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/118374153/hacked-account-can-t-verify?hl=en
https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/98516457/google-couldn-t-verify-that-account-belongs-to-you?hl=en#:~:text= In order to resolve the issue, I,A verification code will be sent... More
It might be running in the background, yes, but I am thinking that even if it is, it shouldn't prevent a follow-up e-mail containing instructions to confirm my new password from arriving in my recovery e-mail inbox, correct?

As per post #123, notice also how it sends verification codes to my recovery e-mail (i.e. to AOL/AIM) after entering my first/last names tied to my Gmail account (during the "Forgot email" method). Yet, it then sends verification codes to the account that I am trying to get into when putting in my new, unconfirmed password (Image #10 in that post).

No, I did not previously see those suggestions on Google's forum, but they are closely related to my issue. The affected person seems stuck in the same way, although their account might have been hacked.

Also, I realize that I mentioned this previously, but what if just my YouTube account could be saved/continue to be used? Is that possible? If that can actually be accomplished somehow, then this issue is suddenly not so bad, since it is really my YouTube account/profile that I am trying to save! If so, I can definitely work with that situation.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Incognito mode souldn’t affect email delivery, however if you’re viewing emails via the web or trying recovery with this on it may be preventing the information being transmitted.
If you can log into your YouTube account then there’s no reason why you cannot keep it.
If you use an authenticator app then the recovery options should include this.
The general consensus from all the support forums about this is to try recovery using a known device (one you’ve previously logged into Google successfully), use the same browser as used successfully before, answer the questions as well as you can & if you fail to keep trying. However you’ve already tried this with little success.

Rain1290

Incognito mode souldn’t affect email delivery, however if you’re viewing emails via the web or trying recovery with this on it may be preventing the information being transmitted.
If you can log into your YouTube account then there’s no reason why you cannot keep it.
If you use an authenticator app then the recovery options should include this.
The general consensus from all the support forums about this is to try recovery using a known device (one you’ve previously logged into Google successfully), use the same browser as used successfully before, answer the questions as well as you can & if you fail to keep trying. However you’ve already tried this with little success.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - I managed to disable Incognito Mode in Google Chrome using a tutorial. I similar disabled it in Microsoft Edge (although it is called "InPrivate" in Microsoft Edge) and restarted my device (Windows laptop) to ensure proper deactivation in both cases. After seeing that they both are successfully disabled, the login problem remains. I tried logging in on both browsers, just to see if the problem is browser-dependent, but it's the same issue.

You also previously asked if I am using a virtual private network. Is there a way to check to see that I am?

Also, you mentioned that I could still use my YouTube account, correct? The problem is that the YouTube account requires me signing in to my Google account. Unless, there is another way to login to it and use it successfully without Google accounts? Is that actually possible? If so, I would say that this problem is solved!

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
A VPN is usually included with third party antivirus like Norton or is downloaded as a separate program. If you don’t know whether you have this then you probably won’t.
Unfortunately YouTube does require signing in with a Google account unless it is an old (pre-Google) account which may retain its own sign in details.
When you added a secondary/recovery email to the account did you receive any email to it with a code? If you still have it then this can prove the account is yours.
I suspect your best bet is to post on the Google forum.

Rain1290

A VPN is usually included with third party antivirus like Norton or is downloaded as a separate program. If you don’t know whether you have this then you probably won’t.
Unfortunately YouTube does require signing in with a Google account unless it is an old (pre-Google) account which may retain its own sign in details.
When you added a secondary/recovery email to the account did you receive any email to it with a code? If you still have it then this can prove the account is yours.
I suspect your best bet is to post on the Google forum.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - Yes, it is likely that I am not using a VPN. My anti-virus is BitDefender.

My YouTube account was created in October 2006 (which is well before pre-Google account days), so could it be possible to still get it back because of that? I believe that I still have the original "Thank you for signing up to YouTube" e-mail up until now!

Also, there is a chance that I still have a verification code sent to my recovery e-mail at the time the Google account was made. I will spend some time checking carefully for that and report back here.

I could try posting on the Google forums, as well, and articulate what we have tried here.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
If you created the account with a non Google address then this seems possible.
If you still have the verification code then it seems possible to use this when asked to enter this code to recover your account. I would expect these codes to expire though.
I would certainly try.

Rain1290

If you created the account with a non Google address then this seems possible.
If you still have the verification code then it seems possible to use this when asked to enter this code to recover your account. I would expect these codes to expire though.
I would certainly try.
Hi Goddess-Bastet - The YouTube account was created with a non-Google address (it was my AOL/AIM account used to login before Google accounts came into the picture) - further evidenced in first two images provided below.

Also, after spending time carefully going through my recovery e-mail history, I still have the day when my Google account was created/confirmed (October 16th, 2016). At that point, I was no longer receiving YouTube notifications on my AOL/AIM account, as they were all now being sent to Gmail (before October 16th, 2016, I was receiving all of the YouTube-related notifications via my recovery/AIM/AOL account). Please see first two images below to show this account creation.

I also recall signing into a Mac device, on June 19th, 2019, which prompted a security alert. This security alert further proves that my AOL/AIM account is the recovery account (see image #3).

All of this evidence must count for something?

Attachments

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Have you tried signing in to YouTube with the original details?
Usually when I sign in on an unrecognised device I click ‘was this you’ or similar in the email & then I may have to confirm this further.
Is/was the Mac device yours?
What happened when you clicked on ‘Check Activity’? If you didn’t then Google may have locked the account just in case.

Rain1290

Have you tried signing in to YouTube with the original details?
Usually when I sign in on an unrecognised device I click ‘was this you’ or similar in the email & then I may have to confirm this further.
Is/was the Mac device yours?
What happened when you clicked on ‘Check Activity’? If you didn’t then Google may have locked the account just in case.
Oddly enough, when attempting to sign-in using my AOL/AIM account, I end up with the same sort of looping effect - it's as if I am trying to login with my Google account. What is strange is that when I enter my old password that corresponds to my Google account (but using it instead with my AOL/AIM username/e-mail), it says that my password was changed 24 days ago (which would be the same thing if I tried this with my Google account). How is it recognizing that old password when I have my AOL/AIM account name there? I was expecting it to say "Wrong password".

If I proceed to select "Forgot password" while using my AOL/AIM account, it still says "Google could not verify that this account belongs to you." (Image #2 below). The two images below show these two steps when attempting to sign in to YouTube with my AOL/AIM account.

What could be causing that? Why would the exact same sequence of issues happen under a different e-mail?

The Mac device was not mine but was used by me at my workplace station when I accessed the account from there for the first time (June 19th, 2018).

Clicking on "Check Activity" still works using that e-mail, even after just over three years, but it just sends me back to the sign-in screen with the correct Google address/username automatically entered, waiting for me to insert my password.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online