Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with Gmail password reset

15K views 199 replies 8 participants last post by  blues_harp28 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I use my Gmail account for various work endeavors and have run into problems logging in after recently attempting to reset my password for my Gmail account. However, when I click on "Forgot Password", the system sends a verification code to my Gmail account...which I obviously cannot access to get to the verification code sent there! I was looking for an option to have the verification code sent to my alternate e-mail account, but there is apparently no option. Clicking "Try Again" only causes it to send a new verification code to my Gmail account. Doing this too often can result in many failed attempts, and so the system would go on to eventually say that I have to wait a few hours before trying again. The problem occurs on all browsers and devices.

Why could this be happening?

Thank you, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

#5 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses and suggestions!

The Gmail account was created using my laptop.

I have attached some step-by-step images to better visualize the problem.

When I try to recover my account by entering my password, it says that my password was changed 8 days ago after attempting to put in my previous password (Image #1). When I put in the new password that I created, it says that it cannot verify that it's me (Image #2). When then pressing "Recover account" in Image #2, all it does is send a verification code to my Gmail account, which I cannot access (Image #3). ***NOTE that this also happens when clicking on "Forgot password" in Image #1.*** When pressing on "Try another way" in Image #3, it takes me to Image #4. When pressing "Try again" in Image #4, it just sends another verification code to that Gmail account (i.e. back to Image #3) that I cannot get into, as opposed to the alternate e-mail that I am using, or my mobile number (both of which were used when creating this account). It's like an endless cycle.

What could be causing this?

Attachments

#10 ·
Hi MisterEd51 - Yes, I was thinking about doing that as an option, as well, but I am not sure what help number is available? What number did you ultimately use to contact them to get this done?

When calling a help number previously, I was referred to one for Google Ads. Was this the one that you used?

#12 ·
Hi MisterEd51 - Yes, I was thinking about doing that as an option, as well, but I am not sure what help number is available? What number did you ultimately use to contact them to get this done?

When calling a help number previously, I was referred to one for Google Ads. Was this the one that you used?
Sorry about that. In looking back through my information I discovered I did not call them. I probably went to the following website:

How to recover your Google Account or Gmail
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7682439?hl=en

Once there I was asked a series of questions to try to prove who I was. Since I was doing this for a family member I had to know enough about them to do this. After that I was sent 2 emails:
1. acknowledge my request and say the case was being reviewed
2. grant my request

Below are these two emails from back in 2017

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

#11 ·
If you click on ‘try again’ are you offered a chance to answer questions to recover your account?
I take it you haven’t added any backup (non Google) email address &/or cell/mobile phone number as recovery options?

#13 ·
If you click on 'try again' are you offered a chance to answer questions to recover your account?
I take it you haven't added any backup (non Google) email address &/or cell/mobile phone number as recovery options?
Hi Goddess-Bastet - What happens when I click on "Try again" is that I am taken back to what is shown in my Image #3, sending another verification code to my Gmail account. It does not prompt me to answer questions, unfortunately.

#22 ·
If this helps in any way, when I checked on my mobile device, I found out that there are 2 generated security codes (expiring after 15 minutes) tied to my account and should only be used on any URL related to https://accounts.google.com/. It states that the codes may be asked when logging in from another device or forgetting the password. I tried logging in from another device, but it does not prompt me to enter these codes, and I instead go back into the problem.

I wonder if this is a glitch of some sort?

#24 ·
Hi Couriant - I was trying to login using Google Chrome, as well as recently Play Store on my phone. I am logged out of each of those now, although it shows my Gmail e-mail listed there to use to sign in (as well as "sign in with another account").

Also, it is worth noting that, after trying to log in so many times, I did receive a security alert in my alternate/recovery e-mail saying that someone was trying to login into my account (me, of course). That said, this proves that I do have a recovery e-mail tied to this Gmail account (which is on the encouraging side, I hope)!

As you mentioned earlier, the question becomes why does it not send the verification code to reset my password using my recovery e-mail? What makes it keep sending it to an account that I cannot even get into?

#25 ·
Were you able to confirm that you could sign in by showing that it is you? The only thing I can think of that it's sending to your email is if Google thinks you can access your email from a different device. I know that the G-Mail app will also act like a 2 step verifier so you can allow access.

#27 ·
Hi Couriant - The farthest step that I can get to is clicking on "Forgot password", followed by the usual verification code being sent to my Gmail account.

That said, as per your suggestion, the only other device that I can think of to access my e-mail is my cellphone, using Google Chrome. Is there a way to remove access from that device to prevent this potential conflict?

#28 · (Edited)
On the Google account recovery email (you're a few steps away) if you click on sign in does it offer you the option to set a new password or ask for the old one?
Hi Goddess Bastet - Yes, I can get as far as clicking on "Forgot password", but then a verification e-mail is automatically sent to my Gmail account, as opposed to the recovery e-mail that I clearly have tied to it (see 4 images below). It does not ask for my old password, nor setting a new one, even though I know what the old password is (entering the old password triggers the red text seen in Image #1, saying that the password was changed 9 days ago).

Attachments

#29 ·
Also, I do know the new password that I created, and I could tell that it is correct when entering it because I receive what is shown in Image #1 included in this post.

Conversely, putting in the wrong password causes red text to appear, as shown in Image #2.

Putting in the old password triggers the red text in Image #3, showing that the password was changed 9 days ago.

Attachments

#30 ·
I think at this point, make sure you sign out of any google apps you have and leave it for a few days. I think that all these attempts are now triggering this 'verify it's you' merry-go-round and if you have an app that is trying to use the old password then that can also trigger this.

#31 · (Edited)
Hi Couriant - I discovered that I am at least "partially" logged into my Gmail account through my cell phone, as I am limited to navigate around (possibly because of all that has been going on in terms of logging in attempts). For example, it won't let me check to see the multitude of verification codes that were sent.

I do see an option on my mobile device to "Remove Account". When I click that, a warning message comes up, saying that "Removing this account will delete all of its messages, contacts, and other data from the phone!".

Should I proceed? That wouldn't delete the account altogether, would it (just from the phone)? Maybe this will stop the possible conflict?

If so, do I wait a few days before attempting to login again?

#33 ·
Unfortunately, it never directed me to change the password since it was initially changed now 10 days ago. It has just been the same endless loop problem with sending a verification code to my Gmail.

That said, I do see the option of removing the account from my phone altogether. It seems that it would completely delete it, based on the warning message I mentioned above. But this would not delete the account altogether, correct? Just from the phone?

#35 ·
My concern is that you will not be able to connect back up since you are having issues with accessing your google account right now... so I would say leave it for now... and to confirm, you can see the email with the verification code on your phone?

#36 ·
When I clicked on the Gmail application (app) on my phone, I was still logged in (I guess that I never logged out since the last time I used it on the phone). However, I was very limited with what I could do. For example, I could compose an e-mail, but it would never send (it would be queued). I also could not navigate to my inbox to see the newest messages, unfortunately, including the multitude of verification codes that must have been sent there. Does that mean that I was already signed out, even though I had some access to the account?

#40 ·
Can you access the account on the phone?
If yes, do other emails sent to that account arrive?
Can you log in to Gmail on the web with the same account details?
Hi Goddess-Bastet - somehow, when I click on the Gmail application (app) on my phone, even though I am signed out, I can see my inbox "to some extent". For example, I cannot access any of the new messages. The latest message that appears is from July 1st. Despite being signed out, I am, however, able to open the old emails that I can currently see. Also, I can go as far as composing a new email, but I cannot send anything (if you try to send, it says "sending..." but then becomes queued and is shown in an outbox of queued items).

In terms of your second question, I would safely assume that newer emails arrive at the account, but I cannot access them.

For your last question, attempting to login into the account with the same details causes the same issue - that is "Google cannot verify that this account belongs to you...".

Instead of continuously trying "Forgot Password", I also tried "Forgot email", but I eventually end up at the stage where I am being asked for my password. Putting in the correct password causes the "Google cannot verify that this account belongs to you...", as shown in my previous images.

*On a side note, I remember all of the information tied to this account (First name, last name, old password, new password, recovery e-mail, phone number), but I still cannot get in, frustratingly.

Could there really be some conflict between devices causing this problem? I am wondering if by being "partially" (for the lack of a better word) signed in on my phone has anything to do with it? But then why is Google not recognizing my new password?

#42 ·
It certainly is a puzzler.
It's as thought the device you changed the password on isn't syncing to Google fully so isn't recognising either password.
I suspect you've tried this:
https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
Have you tried clearing your browser's cache/cookies & trying again?

#45 · (Edited)
Hi Goddess Bastet - Yes, I tried that via the link you shared above.

That said, I did not previously try clearing cache/cookies, etc. I just tried clearing this data from both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome on my laptop. However, the problem persists, but there is one difference. Now, when I click on "Forgot password" after typing in my email address, it says that it could not verify that the account belongs to me (see image below). Unlike before, it now does not even attempt to send me a verification code to my Gmail account. What could be the reason for that?

Attachments

#43 ·
I had the same problem on my phone after I changed the password for my email (not Gmail) on my computer. When I tried to access the email on my phone I got this.
Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

Fortunately, I was able to copy the password for this email account from RoboForm on my phone and paste it in the Password field. I then was able to log into my email account. Note the RoboForm always has the current password because it is synced among all my computers and phones.

BTW, RoboForm was designed to work with web browsers so it autofills usernames and passwords for logins while using a browser. For apps like the ones on my Android phone it doesn't do that. I have to manually to do a copy and paste from RoboForm to use the login information there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.