1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with grand theft auto 3 please help

Discussion in 'Games' started by cheeco37148, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheeco37148

cheeco37148 Thread Starter

i just downloaded grand theft auto 3 on my pc and it runs and everything, but it is very very slow and sluggish. it is like i was playing the game in super slow mode or something. i have tried everything i can think of to fix it but nothing works. can someone please help me out.

win/98
    gateway/2000/pc
    directx 8.1

all i know

please help,cheeco37148

2. RSM123

RSM123

First it would be useful to have a little more info on your pc specs.

How much Ram do you have ? Type and Speed of Processor ? Model of Graphics Card ?

If you are not sure where to look to obtain this info then I recommend you download this system utility Aida32 from here :

http://www.aida32.hu/features/

Its a short d/l. Once you have it run the .exe file. I guarantee it will not damage your comp in anyway or make any changes - I have it myself. What it will do is present a lot of info about your system in a very easy to read format. And furthermore it will give you hotlinks to the websites of the components manufacturers which will allow you to get updates / latest drivers.
    Just click on 'Screenshot' at the site - you will see what it does.

In the meantime - some general suggestions ....

When you try to run GTA3 do you close down all other programs ?
    If you do ctrl alt del you can click to close everything except Explorer Systray and Rundll. Everything else will just use up some of your system resources unnecessarily. Also things like Anti Virus programs in the background can interfere and sometimes bring your comp. to its knees in terms of frame rates, etc.

When you installed I assume you saw the Options Screen where you adjust Sound, Resolution, etc. However there is a feature that is turned on by default - under FX / Effects there is a thing called Trails which will depict movement with a ghost like trail ... I had this problem without knowing it - I thought that was part of the game. If its set to run turn it off !!! It causes lag.

The game should detect the best resolution based on your pc setup - you can change this to a higher one but again you will pay in terms of speed if you go for greater draw distance.

If you read this and have no luck or have tried this and need more help then just post back here.

If you get it running you would help others in the future by replying with what solved this prob.

Good Luck,

RSM123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!