1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmd14, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

Hi All

I have a PC running WMC2005, I installed a Radeon 300 graphics card (PCI express). And ran the set-up disk as prompted. I'm also using a Samsung 970p Monitor. The Monitor is connected to the card via a DVI connection. For about 6 months I've had no issue.
    Then lately what's started to happen if I try to move icons around my desktop it leaves a trail of garbled pixels on the screen.

Firstly I checked for virsus using 2 different scanners, found nothing unusual.
    Then I went into the control panel display settings and followed the troubleshooter on that but the issue didnt go away

Then I disabled the graphics card and everything works fine!
    So looks as if my card is dodgy, but before I just go and buy a new one is there something I'm missing? or is it possible that the card got corrupted in some manner.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried Re-seating it or using another slot if you have one free.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Bonk sorry this is Pci-express so doubtful there us another slot.
    That sounds like a defective card.

4. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

Thanks folks,
    I removed it and installed it in a second PC and the problem followed so I'm pretty sure its the card, only thing now is can i get anything back for it cause its only a couple of months old!!!

5. bonk

bonk Banned

No prob Rich-M, thinking PCI

6. celesse

celesse

I believe what you're expierencing is called 'artifacting.'
    There are several things that cause artifacting and one of them is corrupt memory chips, and the other being overclocking.

If you've never overclocked the card before, then I would say it's most likely corrupt memory chips. See if you can get an RMA replacement for that card.

7. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
    My graphics card problem is still a mystery - I thought it was an error in the card so i removed it and returned it to the shop where it had to be sent away for testing. GOt it back this week and the engineers report says it has no faults and it must be a driver issue

So what I want to knwo is how can a card being working perfect and all of a sudden get a driver issue?? is this possible and if so how do I avoid it in future

Thanks for your help on this.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Something is wrong if it did the same thing in 2 pc's. Hey I once had Amd tell me a cpu tested fine that was missing a pin until I pointed it out to them it was missing a pin which they then saw.

9. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

Thanks Rich,
    So there's no way it could be drivers???

10. jackdw

jackdw

Have you tried the most recent drivers from the card's website?

11. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

well I am going to and I'm hoping that fixes the problem but I don't really understand how they can work fine for a few months and then just stop working!
    if anyone can explain please do

12. jackdw

jackdw

drivers do weird things if they aren't current.

Try that before anything. If they don't work on either PC then it is the card.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

I really don't think so...

14. jackdw

jackdw

I'm sure it'd be the first thing tech-support would tell you to do..

15. pmd14

pmd14 Thread Starter

amazingly I installed the card in one of the PC's last night and didn't do anything extra, i.e I didn't updates or re-install drivers and the problem wasn't there!!!

It makes no sense to me

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/523945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice