1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with graphics card...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yuzu9386, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yuzu9386

yuzu9386 Thread Starter

Well first I should give some history behind my problem...

I had an old Geforce FX 5200 that worked fine, but was just old and the fan blew, so I needed to update. On the same day I bought a new GFX card (a Geforce 6200. BFG brand) I bought a new monitor. It's a Dell LCD monitor. I don't believe the problem is related to the monitor, but I could be wrong.

About a week ago I bought yet another GFC card after experiencing a multitude of problems with the 6200. It had tons of graphical glitches including weird lines of debris on .gif files and on program GUI.

Well my new gfx card IS better in the fact I can view images just fine, but now the GUI problem is worse. I don't get what's wrong...

My new card is a Geforce 8400 GS from PNY bought it at Best Buy.

The following info is taken from dxdiag

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Dimension 3000
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz
    Memory: 1278MB RAM
    Page File: 451MB used, 2601MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8400 GS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06E4&SUBSYS_05CF196E&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 960 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8120 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 12/26/2008 00:08:00, 6168960 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 12/26/2008 00:08:00, 6301344 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-45A4-11CF-6665-C42500C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x06E4
    SubSys ID: 0x05CF196E
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D

I hope someone can shed some light on my problem. I can't afford to keep buying new gfx cards or a new computer if the card is too powerful. ^ ^;;

Here's an image of the debris
    [​IMG]

2. phatfred

phatfred

Do you have the latest drivers installed for the graphics card? Have you tried changing the refresh rate?

3. horsecharles

horsecharles

1. Do try a different monitor.

2. Ensure graphics adapter clicked in fully inside computer, ditto for monitor connected to adapter. Ditto for system ram modules.

3. Ensure no excessive heat or dust bunnies inside case.

4. There should be a bios setting: agp aperture...ensure it's set to a middling number like 128 / not the lowest or highest value.

5. There should be another bios setting like onboard video disabled...ensure onboard video is NOT enabled.

Sometimes that occurs after system runs low on usage-- one ram stick could be faulty(run MEMTEST to ensure)...does it mostly only happen after prolonged use, or fairly immediate to bootup?
    As well enable dma: http://www.real-knowledge.com/dma.htm

OR due to power supply issue-- your old psu may be kinda underpowered or on its last legs....One way to tell, test monitor and videocard in question in a different computer.

good luck....

4. yuzu9386

yuzu9386 Thread Starter

@horsecharles:

1. I can try a different monitor later. I'd have to go to the basement and hook my computer up to one of my parents' monitors, but my knees have been bothering me lately and I rather them not give out on me when I'm home alone. =<!

.... I really hope this isn't the case ....

2. I'm pretty positive everything is safe and secure

3. I DO need to get some more condensed air cans, but this has never been a problem in the past.

4. It was already set to what you specified.

5. I didn't see anything that was exactly like you mentioned, but what I did see it was set to auto. (other option was enable)

My RAM seems to be fine, as I suspected it would be.

As for the power supply... That's what I know nothing about. If my power supply is failing or the voltage isn't high enough... What should I do?

I plan to get a new computer within a year or so... So I should be fine I suppose. The GUI debris isn't too terrible or much of a hinderance.

I was just hoping someone reccognized this and knew the exact reasoning behind it. ^ ^;;

@phatfred:

I do have the latest drivers, and I'm kind of shakey about messing with the refresh rate... I did that on my old monitor and that's what finally fried it... Then again it was dying anyways. I'll look up what the refresh rate should be for this monitor and adjust accordingly

5. yuzu9386

yuzu9386 Thread Starter

I figured out my problem... I think. My GFX card needs a 300w power supply and my computer has a 250w power supply. I didn't know... ^ ^; Well I'll be looking into one asap... Thanks for the help!

I'll know soon I hope if it works.
    <3

6. yuzu9386

yuzu9386 Thread Starter

Houston we have a problem. It's not the PSU. I bought a 550w one (was on sale) and STILL the problem persists. I don't friggin get it... My computer hates me... It can't be the monitor as the problem changed with graphics cards. =\

Oi... Luckily I can survive this a year... I hope... Though it'll prolly drive me mad as I have NO clue what the heck is causing this.

7. horsecharles

horsecharles

Sorry to hear about your knees.....and about the $$$...

I'm still not sure your monitor is blameless...too bad we can't swap.

Because what are the odds you bought one bad vidcard, let alone two back to back? I would still be curious how they performed in a good system. Maybe they are too advanced(the memory type of the last one especially) for your system...

Until we do those two things, the results of anything else may be futile / not provide a sure answer...like a monitor test: http://www.appscout.com/2008/11/the_online_monitor_test_calibr_1.php

Or a dxdiag test...you ran that, no?

You could try an app such as SpeedFan- take a reading immediately upon noticing those symptoms...

I'm not an electrician...but maybe something else inside is causing shorts / havoc. How to test psu: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=test+psu First three results are: two different sites and video tutorial links....

Let's also eliminate things, no matter how obvious / unlikely:

1. You have NOT used the same video cable AND the same power cable to connect your monitor all times hopefully.
    2. Try to connect monitor to different type of connector offered with each video adapter.
    3. In between each new procedure-- nothing in Device Manager with exclamation point / warning message.
    4. Put aside both video adapters and try the onboard graphics....latest drivers here: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...emID=DIM_CEL_3000&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    5. Your bios is up to date....Have the latest chipset and mobo drivers installed? http://support.dell.com/support/dow...emID=DIM_CEL_3000&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    Intel put out one later update: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...16&DwnldID=8178&strOSs=45&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng
    6. Malware tests...with spybot, etc.

Go back to BB with monitor and two adapters in hand(in the back to geek squad)...tell them to test all three or you want your money back.

8. yuzu9386

yuzu9386 Thread Starter

I'm gonna grab my old gfx card if i still have it and plop it in long enough to see if it's my computer itself. My monitor works beautifully on everything but two programs, which aren't all that strenuous. And I did the first link and my monitor works just fine. the testing PSU, it can't be that because i just bought this PSU. and the same problem persists. So that's unlikely and I refuse to mess with the insides of my compu. I did that trying to get the old PSU out and it was a big mistake. >.<!

also to an old post my RAM is fine and what I posted on here was from dxdiag as stated in my initial posting.

i updated my BIOS and chipset before and am pretty sure everything is up to date...

i honestly doubt this is something that can be solved without doing some extensive inside testing to check every chip. and i simply can't afford to get that done on a computer that i plan on replacing within a year.

thanks for all the help though. =>

i guess the best case scenario is that when i put my old gfx card in that everything works just fine, telling me that my card is too powerful for my computer.

worst case is that it does nothing.

Oh well. ^ ^;

9. horsecharles

horsecharles

Hmm, getting more and more curious about which two programas...

How did things eventually work out yuzu?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice