1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem With Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Sheeper, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Sheeper

John Sheeper Thread Starter

Hey guys , I have a problem I thought you could help me out with.

Basically the other day my computer fell over , no great distances , just fell to the side , and my graphics card started acting up , I can't really do anything and my screen is full of these squares and my OS is saying that there's a display driver error ( will post pictures soon ) , I'm running vista ultimate btw , here are pictures of my card GeForce 8600GT / PCI-E x16 , everything "seems" to be fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't really tried doing anything , I was planning to go to the shop and see what they tell me there , but it's closed on weekends and I really need this fixed. Any suggestions on what to do are much appreciated , thanks in advance.

2. Techknow

Techknow

You may have dislodged the ram, reseat it and try again. When you put the graphics card back in move it slightly up and down when in the socket to ensure good connection

3. John Sheeper

Thanks for the advice , I tried that and no help, my monitor displays everything smooth until I reach my desktop / login screen so I don't think it's my DVI to VGA d-sub adapter which isn't in really good shape, you think the broken connectors might be the cause of this ?

[​IMG]

4. Techknow

Techknow

Try enabling vga mode from the startup options menu - then remove graphics card from device manager and reboot - let it re-detect device and load new set of drivers

5. Techknow

Techknow

Sorry missed your comment about adapter. I agree that it does look a bit damaged, if it is that at least it isn't going to break the bank but you will never know until you swap it

6. John Sheeper

Thanks again , I tried enabling vga, removing graphics card from device manager and rebooting , but no luck , here's what it looks like, everything is very laggy and it's hard to do anything

[​IMG]

it lasts for like 2 minutes and then I just get a black screen , I think the card is overheating I'm not sure though , cause it was pretty hot when I took it out , and my vents are working fine.

7. John Sheeper

~Bump , I got a new adapter today , and I still have the same problem , any adivce ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice