1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with hardrive (?) computer not able to boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eldritchhorror, May 14, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. eldritchhorror

eldritchhorror Thread Starter

so I dont know much about computers but heres whats up with mine. any help or adice would be amazing!

comuter randomly started making noise that sounded like a fan or disk running. but after another restart it started up but froze like...after being on for a few minutes.

after that its just been trying to boot but cant get past teh windows screen with the loading circle. if it does happen to it give e the no boot media messge

im guessing its the hardrive. everything else including the motherboard is less that a year old and worked fine.

is there any way to fix the hard drive that doesnt cost a ton of money. im in the process of ssi so i dont have any form of money and my computer//video games are my only coping mechanism a the moment.

the computer is windows 10 asus

thanks again for any help

2. eldritchhorror

i just found out you can download media from window directly for free. last time years ago i dont think that was an option. ill see how that goes!

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Does the computer have onboard diagnostics? If not, you can download some to test your hard drive. The drive manufacturer is the best place to get this, if you know what make drive it is (i.e. Seagate, Western Digital, etc.).

4. eldritchhorror

after doing some research i think my hard drive just...broken?? im looking to just get a new one but when i looked up my serial number the ones on amazon thats in my price rand (legit just the same as my old one) says without expert installation? anyone know what that means?

mine is a wd blue btw!

my computer is a asus tower AS MIIAD

this is the drive im thinking of getting would it be fine?

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK

5. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    That usually means that the user will have to install the drive in to their pc/that the cost does not include a technician to install the drive & recover the operating system.

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Virginia is absolutely correct. You will have to install the drive and install the operating system (Windows) yourself, or find someone else to do it for you.

Goddess-Bastet likes this.
  7. eldritchhorror

how would i install the operating system? could i do it from the media you can put on a usb from the official windows site? sorry for so many questions im new to this and all my tech friends arent around or arent my friends anymore lmao

8. eldritchhorror

it also on amazon just says the other version with installer is just to save the files on the other drive (wich i already had on the cloud so im good there)

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Do you know what version of Windows you had on there?

10. eldritchhorror

im fairly sure it was 10

11. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    Yes you can use the media creation tool to create USB installation media - you’ll need to download it on another PC & choose to create media for another computer.
    If you already have this & it is the latest version - currently 1809 - then you’re good to go.

12. eldritchhorror

sweet i do already have that bc i tried to use it on my old hd and it just...wouldnt pull up anything and eventually stopped even seeing my hd in boot options.

so i just download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

thats all? just use it to put on my usb and pick it in boot order and fix it from there

13. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    You run the tool & it’ll start the process, when it comes to saying upgrade now (don’t worry) just choose to create media for another PC & insert the USB drive.
    Once completed then you can use it as a boot drive providing you can choose to boot from USB.

14. eldritchhorror

sweet. thanks so much for the help! my computer avy friends all turned out to be not great so now im learning to do all of this! thanks again

15. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    Great, if you need any further help or step-by-step video/photos please post back.
    I remember how daunting it was to learn with my first PC.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice