Problem with hardware but software?

Pulsetic

So. I'll do my best to describe as much as possible as I'm no genius when it comes to pc's. I'm just a gamer and streamer. But I know some stuff I've learned from friends. Here are my specs followed by my problem.

I have a pc I built

Motherboard- Msi b450 a pro
Cpu- ryzen 5 2600
Gpu- rx vega 56 sapphire pulse
32GB corsair pro ddr4 3200ghz ram (2x16).
Psu- seasonic 750 watt

I dont know when this started. But I checked recently in my task manager. I have 15.9 gigs of ram usable. But 16.1 gigs of ram is hardware reserved. I've tried a lot to fix this. I swapped around the ram sticks and even put them in one at a time. Both work fine. However bios detects both but shows I only have 16 gigs of ram. So I tried multiple things. Running msconfig. Changing some things. Restarting pc. Didn't work. I tried running re-edit and changing set value to 1 and even 2 on the clearpageonboot. Nope nothing. I tried using xmp profile 1 and 2. Nope nothing. My bios doesn't have memory remapping. So that's a no go. Everything is updated fully. So im at a loss. Before the 32 gigs I was using 2x16 sticks both g-skill 3200ghz. These had the same issue. I tried removing the cmos battery for 5 to 6 minutes. Nothing. I removed the cmos battery and used a screwdriver to touch the metal next to it. Nope nothing. So then I tried factory resting my pc. Nope still the same. So why is my pc making 16.1 gigs of ram unusable and reserved for hardware?

Couriant

James
It does sound like the motherboard may be the issue. What is the BIOS version of the board? There is version 7B86vAD on 6/18/2020, and 7B86vAG3(Beta version) released on 4/26/2021

Pulsetic

It does sound like the motherboard may be the issue. What is the BIOS version of the board? There is version 7B86vAD on 6/18/2020, and 7B86vAG3(Beta version) released on 4/26/2021
It's up to date. Actually did that yesterday and still having this issue sadly. I've been thinking it's been the issue.

Pulsetic

Have you done the first 2 options in this link: https://appuals.com/windows-10-wont-use-full-ram/

Also, did you put the RAM in the correct slots, as in in DIMMA2/B2 slots as mentioned in the manual?

View attachment 287807

Did you get the memory is listed as compatible on their site? What is the model/serial of the memory that you have?
Yes I tried that. Both of my modules are fine. Came as a set. Tried both 1 at a time. Nothing worked. The frequency set for them is set at 2133mhz automatically though. Earlier today my pc started crashing a lot. All of my apps would leave smears of themselves going across the screen when I'd try to move them as well. Also I have tried misconfig as well as I have done everything on the first link you shared. Nothing worked.

Last edited:

Couriant

James
My suspicion at this point would be the motherboard, but I will wait for a second opinion from our resident hardware guru.

At any point from the beginning of the install of this machine, did you do a fresh install of Windows?

plodr

Liz
I found a post from April 2021 where the poster decided that the BIOS was corrupt. It is not the same board as yours.

"I noticed 16GB of ram was reserved by hardware. I updated bios - which took it to 16.1GB reserved. There is the first clue. Its not a Windows or driver issue.
I also noticed RAM speed was down to basic 2400GHZ rather than 3200GHZ. I went in to bios and changed settings for ram and invoked the XMP profile. Each time I rebooted to Win10 the setting had reverted to base settings and still ram was reserved. (task master performance). I found resetting bios to optimum setting didn't actually change anything while the bios was corrupted.

To solve I removed the battery and 4 sticks of ram and unplugged PSU. Switched the on button a couple of time just to ensure power was completely drained from the system to reset the BIOS. Switched on and got the familiar beeps. Switched off and whilst battery was out added 1 stick 8GB ram. Switched on and booted to Windows that reported all 8GB at 2400GHZ -none reserved. Switch off (but keeping PSU powered) and then went in to Bios and set XMP profile and then started windows. Now 8GB with 3200GHZ. This time repeated with battery inserted so Bios setting kept. Rebooted and still 8GB at 3200GHZ. Switched off and inserted another stick of ram repeated and now 16GB 3200GHZ with 57MB reserved for hardware. Repeated with another stick, now 24GB with 57MB reserved. Power down again (never unplug or switch off the PSU untill the battery has been replaced otherwise BIOS settings would be lost again) and inserted final stick. Reboot and Win reports all 32GB at 3200GHZ.

Conclusion......confused/corrupted Bios. By removing all ram and rebooting the system looses previous memory settings but leaving the sticks in and updating Bios did not reset the RAM timing or change the hardware reserved issue. So I suggest removing the ram and reinserting 1 at a time with fresh ram settings and to reset BIOS by removing Battery and powering off completely to put Bios to default setting. I suspect the hardware reserved RAM would have been dedicated to on CPU graphics but my CPU does not have a GPU built in like some other Ryzens."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online