1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem With HP Pavilion N5495 Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flavallee, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    When I started up my HP Pavilion N5495 laptop this morning(which has Windows XP SP2 installed), it took longer to start up than usual. I was surprised to hear the startup music play(which I always keep turned off). Most of the icons were missing from the desktop and extra entries were in the Start menu or had been rearranged. I did a system restore and successfully restored back to January 21st and got everything back to normal.

I decided to run Disk Defragmenter, since it had not been run in over a month. I turned off the antivirus and firewall programs(as I usually do) and started the defragging process. When it got to about 39% - 40%, I started hearing a clicking sound, sort of like a clock doing a slow "tick - tock". After it continued to do this for about 5 minutes without stopping and with the defrag process not continuing any further, I hesitantly clicked "Stop" and stopped the defrag process.

The computer then rebooted on its own. During the restart, a blue screen appeared with the following message:

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

There were a few paragraphs after that that basically said to restart the computer, and if the blue screen appeared again, to check the hardware and software and to disable caching or shadowing in the BIOS. At the bottom of the screen was the following:

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x82B40DA0, 0x82B40F14, ox805FA7a8)

Beginning dump of physical memory

After watching this screen for several minutes and nothing else happening, I did a hard shutdown, waited 30 seconds, then did a restart. During the restart, the "tick tock" started again, then it stopped and Windows loaded normally.

I turned off the antivirus and firewall programs and started the defragging process again. At this time, it is at 50% and is running normally, and without any "tick-tock" sound.

Is it possible that the hard drive is going south, or am I dealing with another problem? :confused:

----------------------------------------------------------------

I will post back shortly and advise if the defragging process completed and if there were any problems.

2. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The defragging process completed successfully. I then decided to run error checking. During the restart, the "tick-tock" started again. A black screen appeared with a white progress bar across the bottom. After about a minute, the Windows XP logo appeared and the "tick-tock" sound continued. After about a minute, the Windows XP logo disappeared and was replaced by a solid black screen. The "tick-tock" stopped and then started and then stopped. The solid black screen still remained after about 5 minutes and I could hear the hard drive making its normal sound, but nothing else was happening. I did a hard shutdown, waited 30 seconds, then restarted. I have nothing but a black screen. I can still hear the hard drive working, but nothing is loading :(

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I restarted and selected the last known configuration and Windows reloaded with no problem. (y)

After I run a few utilities, I'm going to restart it again and see what happens. This is really mind-boggling. :(

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The restart took much longer than usual, but everything loaded normally. (y)

I apologize for such a long post. Any comments from anyone? :confused:

5. Neumie

Neumie

try and listen to see if the sound is coming from the CD drive or hard drive. It will only come out of the cd drive if a cd is in their. If it is coming from the hard drive ten thats not good. It could be on its last legs. back up everything if you can. How old is your laptop?. laptop harddrives are more suseptible to failure than desktops so if it's a couble of years old i wouldn't be surprised. I dout this is a software issue really.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    This laptop was purchased in December 2001 with the original version of Windows XP and has since been upgraded to Windows XP SP2.

The CD-RW drive had no CD in it when the "tick-tock" occurred.

I have run a trash files cleanup with EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380 and it found numerous files, including a memory dump file containing over 500 MB.

It seems to be running okay now. I just finished burning off 5 programs to a CD-R.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice