1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with I Tunes and 64bit Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jampot, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

I am having problems downloading the correct version of I Tunes for my new laptop.

The laptop runs the 64bit version of Windows 7 OS.

Checking various forums there seems a known problem with this version of Windows.

Is there a simple way that I can download the correct version of I Tunes that will run on my PC?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here should be the correct download. Whether you'll have any luck running it is unpredictable.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I didn't have any problems at all installing and using iTunes on Windows 7 64-bit. Is there really a problem, or is it an urban legend?

4. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

I'm just wondering if it depends on where you download from. I went to the official itunes website and when I attempted to run I got an error message stating that this was 32bit version - but no advice as to where I could download the 64 bit version! I find it unbelievable that MS could release a new version of windows that does not support iTunes. I guess that
    s just wishful thinking on my part.
    As a matter of interest where did u download the 64 bit version?

5. screenaid

screenaid

something what happen, we need details about the problems. if you can't install it, you try to close the firewall or Antivirus Software.

6. antech

antech Banned

He has probably downloaded the 32 bit version of Itunes

7. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Don't think it's a firewall/anti-virus issue the download just stated that it would only run on 32bit systems. Mine is 64bit.

8. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

If he has downloaded 32bit version not sure how it can be running on a 64bit machine

9. antech

antech Banned

Any 32bit compatibility mode present?
    Never tried any 64bit version of any windows though.

10. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Not sure if you can run a 32bit application on a 64bit machine in Windows 7

11. antech

antech Banned

The compatibility feature has greatly improved in win 7
    Try googling it

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're running Windows 64-bit, download and install the 64-bit version of iTunes.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

This is not a case where you want to mess with compatibility mode when the correct version is available and works.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When DoubleHelix said "download and install the 64-bit version of iTunes" I'm sure that he meant to select the 2nd radio button: " iTunes 9.1 for Windows (64-bit)." If, instead, you keep the 32-bit one selected you will get the 32-bit one.

I am not using 64-bit, so have no personal experience with iTunes 64-bit. Reading some of the things I find my guess is that there may have been an issue or two at one time, but they are now fixed in the latest 64-bit version.

14. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Downloaded the 64bit version and so far so good.
    It may be me but I'm sure that on first running I tunes there appeared a pane to the left of the main I-Tunes window giving various options such as transfering to Ipod. Was I imagining this as I can no longer find it.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have your iPod connected? If not, try connecting it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice