1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with IDE SATA converter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Killerbud, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Killerbud

Killerbud Thread Starter

I have a ASUS M4A78-EM mobo with only 1 IDE port which I use to run my two IDE HD's. At this point I really don't want to swap out either of the HD's. My problem lies in that I have a GDR-8164b DVD drive which is also IDE that I want to hookup. I decided the problem was simple and I purchased an IDE to SATA converter, being that I have 4 empty SATA slots on my mobo. I have connected everything up and fired it up.....and nothing. My BIOS does not detect the SATA connection in any of the ports, and neither does windows if I scan for new hardware. What am I missing here....is it not as easy as just connecting all the power supplies, the adapter and the SATA cable???? The adapter does not specifically say that it is designed for this use, but I really can't see why it can't be. It is not as easy as purchasing a SATA DVD drive either. For reasons I do not want to mention here, this is only 1 of a few different types of drives that will serve it's purpose. I have also updated the BIOS to see if that may be the problem. Any ideas...???

2. TekTime

TekTime

You will probably have to purchase a SATA DVD Drive (I could be wrong though)
    Many SATA controllers are not ATAPI friendly (your DVD drive is ATAPI).

3. Killerbud

Killerbud Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.....I would have to agree with you. I have tried every single combination possible and it just will not work. I've done some research online and the one I purchased only notes it is suitable as a host ( connecting direct to the mobo to run a sata device )....I would presume being that I'm doing the exact opposite that is why it is not working.

4. Mcbee

Mcbee

Have you set the drive jumper to master and SATA mode to enhanced in BIOS?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice