1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with images not showing up in my web browsing.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by o0ark0o, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. o0ark0o

o0ark0o Thread Starter

I have a strange problem. At my work computer, when using Firefox or Internet explorer Images wont show up when I use an Image search like Google Images or Yahoo Images, I get the red X's. Shutterstock works sometimes, but in general Image searching sites wont show me thumbs...

Kinda wondering if anyone can help me out here as I am a graphic designer and kinda need to use sites like that heh.

I use Windows XP.
    Mozilla/5.0
    IE 7.0
    Help me Tech Support, your my only hope!

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

"Mozilla/5.0"? In any event, does your company do any kind of web filtering? At my office, they block access to images hosted on ANY image hosting site, so I can't view a number of images. Contact your IT dept to see if they are blocking images or certain kinds of sites.

Peace...

3. o0ark0o

o0ark0o Thread Starter

I should have been more clear, I'm sorry =) Mozilla Firefox 5.0 is what I meant. I work in a Bar, and my work computer is just a PC in the back room, so there is no such thing as an IT department here. I should add that Images showed up fine before I downloaded Firefox. I tried uninstalling it though and it didn't fix it. I am thinking about just reformatting this computer if I can't fix it, because its kinda starting to make me mad. Thanks again for your response, sorry I did not provide all the info heh.

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the info. "Mozilla/5.0" is the "user agent string", or a special string that partially identifies the browser you're using. That's not a Firefox version. You'll be running Firefox 2.0.0.(something) or maybe 3.0.(something).

As for your images not loading, the installation of Firefox wouldn't cause images to stop loading in Internet Explorer. Before you nuke the machine, what kind of security software do you have installed (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, popup blockers, etc)?

Also, do you have dial-up Internet access or DSL or cable modem or what?

Peace...

5. o0ark0o

o0ark0o Thread Starter

Ahh, ok. You are right, I'm using 3.0.1.
    As for security, I was using trend micro internet security. Its a program that I just tried uninstalling, thinking maybe that was the cause, but it was not as far as I can tell.
    I had my friend who works in the IT department of his company come take a look at it and he tells me that nothing on the network is blocking the images.
    I have also turned off this computers firewall in an attempt to fix the problem, but it also did not work.
    We are connected to cable.
    Thanks again and again for trying to help me!

6. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

Ok, try booting the machine into safe mode w/ networking and see if images load for you or not.

Peace...

7. o0ark0o

o0ark0o Thread Starter

This is going to sound noobish, but I don't know how to boot this computer into safe mode. All it gives me the option to do is F2 for set up and F12 for boot menu. Boot menu only lets me boot from different hard drives, and there is no option for safe mode.
    Sooooo, any tricks for booting into safe mode? On my computer at home all I have to do is push F8, here its another story.

On another note...
    I uninstalled and re installed both firefox and IE, after doing so, Google images, shutterstock, flikr and morguefile (all image sites) work just fine in Firefox. The thumbnails all show up. Yahoo Images still refuses to work though. None of them work in IE.
    Tis a strange problem. Both the other computers here that are hooked up to the same network work just fine, its just this one.

8. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

You can follow these instructions for booting in safe mode. When you get the safe mode options, choose "safe mode with networking". Then see if the images start appearing.

Peace...

9. JoeyeoJ

JoeyeoJ

i'm having the same problem

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/735787