1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with installing XP on Crucial SSD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by davehiggins21, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davehiggins21

davehiggins21 Thread Starter

I decided to treat myself to a new Crucial SSD for whiling away the post Christmas dead time. I have been running a RAID 1 system based on a Gigabyte board with a pair of disks in the cluster and a third disk as JBOD. I did some research and realised that I'd need to do some regular housekeeping to keep the SSD tidy since I run XP and don't want to change but decided that would be OK as I'd only put the OS on the SSD and keep all the data on my old disks - I also wanted to break the RAID cluster and install UBUNTU on one of the disks - I've never got Linux to work on the software RAID system.

I followed instructions on this link http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows and although I had a few problems doing it I finished up with a partition in the right place - but couldn't get it to boot up. I tried to use the recovery console to run FIXMBR but it wouldn't recognise the disk until I changed 2 of the SATA ports to be IDE compatible and plugged the SSD in there. Despite my best efforts it still wouldn't boot after many FIXMBR, FIXBOOT and BOOTCHG attempts so I decided to try a clean install of XP.

This worked initially and the system booted up but I then decided to be too clever by half and copy my old Windows system over the one I'd just installed by booting off one half of the RAID cluster and then plugging the SSD and the other half of the cluster into SATA ports and coypying all the WINDOWS files to the SSD from the inactive Windows disk. This of course stopped it booting and since then I can't get it to do anything - Windows installs all stop at the final screen before it starts allowing you to select the partition you want to install whenever I try - and even when one of my original disks is the only one plugged in.

My original Windows systems all work and I can see the SSD when I plug it into a SATA port after Windows has loaded - but having the SSD installed at bootup also stops Windows working - it boots up but then wont accept any commands. The MBR is marked as being present on the SSD according to EaseUS which is what I've used to create partitions

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this. I'm losing what little hair I have.

TIA Dave

2. davehiggins21

davehiggins21 Thread Starter

Finally sorted this by installing ubuntu on the ssd plugged in to an ide slot. The XP install then recognised the drive and it installed ok. Windows won't boot from a port defined as RAID but the system is still much faster than on the old disks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice