1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with internet connection icon and firewall

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gogogrand, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

Firs i am using windows 8 and recently i noticed when i connect my laptop to internet the ordinary icon that supposed to appear doesn't appear but instead a yellow triangle

Second my firewall was turned off i tried to enable it again but there is a screen appears {see attached pictures)

FYI I TRIED CLEANER , ANTI MALWAREBYTES AVAST ANTIVIRUS AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED

PLEASE HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO BECAUSE I THINK I HAVE BEEN HACKED

Attached Files:

• 22.PNG
      22.PNG
      File size:
      4 KB
      Views:
    • 33.PNG
      33.PNG
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
    • fw.PNG
      fw.PNG
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    despite the icon message are you actually connected to the internet

Your showing avast as antivirus - is this what you have ?

What other firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

Most PCs come with a trial version

3. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

Yeah i am actually connected to the internet i didn't install any of software you mentioned before except Avira free antivirus but i didn't use it for long i was always using windows defender

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just to clarify

the machine will have come with trialware - like norton or mcafee
    whats the make and exact model

in your first post you mention
    AVAST
    now you mention Avira and also windows defender
    ALL those programs need to be uninstalled and also using the removal tool

Avira Removal Tool
    Via Control Panel - usually works OK
    http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail?kbid=88

Uninstall Avast Utility
    Sometimes it´s not possible to uninstall avast! the standard way - using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in control panel. In this case, you can use the uninstallation utility avastclear.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
    http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

5. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

I used the removal tools and still the same

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what happens if you click on the recommended settings ?

remove the wireless profiles and then reconnect - enter the wireless key and see if the ! goes away
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Windows 8

taken from here http://www.7tutorials.com/how-manage-wireless-network-connections-profiles-windows-8
    How to Manage Wireless Network Connections & Profiles in Windows 8

You no longer have to navigate to the Network and Sharing Center, you just have to get to the network list.
    To access the list you can click or tap the Wireless Networking icon in the system tray of your Desktop.
    You can also move your cursor to the bottom right corner of the screen to activate the Charms. Click or tap “Settings" and then the Network icon.
    Locate the network’s name (Security Set Identifier - SSID) from the list of available networks and right-click or press and hold on it.
    Click or tap “View Connection Properties."
    Locate the network name on the list and right-click or press and hold on it. Click or tap “Forget this network" to delete the profile from your computer.

you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all

------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

If i clicked on the recommended settings the mouse cursor change to loading icon and disappear again without any action at all

i am using usb modem to connect to the internet

and you reminded me of another issue that the wire less adapter enable its self automatically every two to five minutes i noticed the same problem with my android phone !

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model
    I assume you have a program on the PC - that you enter the username and password to connect to the internet
    Usually these days Modem/routers have a LAN connection ethernet and NOT USB
    is it definitely a USB ?

cna you explain further do you mean it reconnects
    not sure what Enable itself means to you , maybe different to what i know that to mean

9. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

I am quite sure its USB modem the model is Huawei MOBILE BROADBAND E367

I don't have any wifi hotspot to connect to in my area what i mean by enable it self is it became activated without me pressing the wifi button in the keyboard KEY F12 and the indication light illuminated

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks, so its using the cellular network
    so its not using the wifi at all
    Although the software you installed for the modem, may also be able to use the wifi, when a local wifi connection is available - At least thats my experience of the O2 and Vodaphone dongles a few years back
    Therefore when you plug the unit in - it may enable the wireless on the PC and thats why you see it enabled on the PC

I had the exact opposite on the O2 where when you disconnected the dongel - it also disabled the wireless and so the laptop could not conenct via a normal wireless signal without the dongle also connected, because the software was running all the time and expected to see the USB device plugged in

is this the problem you are having ?
    The wireless is being operated by the dongles software and NOT by the windows software

11. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

NO the wifi became activate even the dongle is not plugged , i mean in the normal use of computer without using the internet also it activate its self

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry, i'm not aboe to understand what the issue is you are having - sorry

13. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

1- when i connect to the internet instead of the regular icon at the bottom left near to the time that imply i am connected i get a yellow triangle even my connection has no problem and working properly .

2- when i go to internet and sharing center to the active connection and click in the properties in the internet obtaining an ip address automatically is turned off and there is ip address is active but i didn't wrote and it cause the browsing to be slowly

3- i found the firewall is disabled and when i try to enable it it show me a dialog that say ( windows firewall is not using the recommend setting to protect your computer but even though i click in USE RECOMMENDED SETTING SELECTION i got nothing !

Please help me fix these issues and here are some pictures

1- http://s18.postimg.org/brkbb05ih/yellow_...

2- http://s16.postimg.org/cfiyoc52d/image.p...

3- http://s30.postimg.org/7n9ifqiu9/322.png

14. valis

valis Moderator

just as an fyi, a lot of us are working currently (like myself) and cannot view the pics. Any reason you don't attach them using the TSG interface?

15. gogogrand

gogogrand Thread Starter

WHAT IS TGS INTERFACE I don't know it even , I am new to this forum

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice