1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robinrlsr1, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robinrlsr1

robinrlsr1 Thread Starter

operating system- windows xp home

i set up my belkin router and everything looks good to go except that i cannot get a internet connection as long as i am hooked into the router if i hook derectly from modem to computer the connection is fine as soon as i hook back into router -no connection- i feel like there a simple step that i am missing please help:confused:

2. 220volt

220volt

Do: Start-Run-type cmd
    One the prompt type ipconfig/all
    You will get buch of results.
    Copy/paste results here so we can look at it.
    You are probably not getting an IP from your router.

Another problem you might be having is that your ISP still has mac address of your PC registered in theri system and its bound to the modems mac, and now you put your roter bentween. You have to call your ISP to change that, or you might try to unplug modem (coax off too) and keep it off for few minutes, plug it back in. Then unplug your router, keep it off for minute or two and plug it back in. Then restart your pc.

3. robinrlsr1

i'm not at home now but i will try that as soon as i return thank you

4. DBClark

DBClark

It sounds as though the router is not configured properly for your connection type.

Do you have cable or DSL?

5. robinrlsr1

i have dsl

6. DBClark

DBClark

Try these steps...

Turn everything off. Modem, router, computer. Turn back on in this order. Modem, let the lights stabilize, turn on the router, wait a couple of minutes, then turn the computer on. Then see if you can connect.

In the router's configuration page, let us know if don't know how to access this, and also let us know which Belkin router you have, your connection type needs to be PPPOE.

Once you get up and running with the wireless, I highly recommend enableing WPA security to keep others from accessing your network.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice