1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with java...pc restarts. Help please!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bermbat, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bermbat

bermbat Thread Starter

Okay, I posted this yesterday over on the XP specific forum and nobody replied. I'm not sure if it was the wrong forum or what. Anyways here's the problem:

When IE is loading some Java my PC restarts (not all Java sites cause this). I am running Windows XP and have the latest IE. When I first got XP (around it's release) I was promted to download the Java 2 Runtime Environment program for Java to work. Last night I tried to fix it myself, but I couldn't find out how to resolve this. I downloaded the latest edition of Java 2 Runtime Environment from java.com and still I have a problem. :confused:

I'm not sure what other information you might need. I really want to resolve this issue ASAP...

Please help!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I have seen XP choke on Sun Java- I am pretty sure though it was the way it was installed.

What I did was uninstall the Java 2 Runtime from Control Panel> Change or Remove Programs (you may have Add/Remove Programs) The user had 2 versions of added-on Java from Sun, uninstalled both. They had the two latest numbered. Problem solved. Their online games worked again... I can't say if this would fix your problem but it might help.

You could try installing it again with no antivirus program running. Do a good system cleanup first. You may have to set some things in Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options> Advanced> Make sure you put a check into Sun Java runtime's box. That is, if you reinstall Sun's Java plugin.

Then, see if you can use chat, or other Java items> Instant Message programs, etc.

3. bermbat

bermbat Thread Starter

I have tried reinstalling it and still I have the same problem. I don't run a virus scanner so that wouldn't be the problem. There is only one page (at the moment, there used to be others..but I don't think they cause this problem anymore) that causes my PC to restart with it loads the Sun Java program. This site works for my friends (and they also have Sun Java) so I really don't know what to do..

Thanks for the reply though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

4. necro95

necro95

Hi, try going to Start -> Run, type in Regsvr32 jscript.dll and then
    Start -> Run, type in Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Restart the com and see if this works.

5. bermbat

bermbat Thread Starter

6. bermbat

bermbat Thread Starter

Anyone else have any other ideas? I really wish to resolve this. :(

7. bermbat

bermbat Thread Starter

Okay people...I loaded the page in Mozilla Firefox today and the page loads perfectly. When I tried to load it with Internet Explorer, it still caused my PC to restart.

Does this help identify the problem?

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

One thing that may help, and is good to do anyway...
    clear the Sun Java cache.

Here is how you do it:

From the Start button, click Settings > Control Panel
    In the Control Panel, open the "Java Plug-in Control Panel"
    Select the Cache Tab
    Click the Clear button inside the Cache Tab, which will clear your JRE cache directory

9. bermbat

bermbat Thread Starter

I've done that and I think I'm just going to give up on this issue. I'm going to just switch to Mozilla Firefox. Thank you for the help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice