1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with JPG Files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by rjoeng, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjoeng

rjoeng Thread Starter

I have an HP Compaq desktop computer using Windows XP Home edition. I recently downloaded a number of pictures from a digital camera to my HP computer using Kodak Easyshare. The Easyshare program automatically erases pictures from the camera when the transfer in complete. When I look at the folder in Windows Explorer, I can see all the thumbnails very clearly. However, when I open each JPG file using Microsoft Photo Editor, all I get is less than half of the picture. Why is the thumbnail complete and the picture incomplete, and how can this be corrected? I would hate to lose all the pictures!!

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

rjoeng

2. slipe

slipe

I can explain why the thumbs can be complete and the photos not. Many cameras generate separate thumbnails for quick viewing. Windows will save thumbnails so it doesn’t have to regenerate them, but will use the camera generated thumbnails if they are available. The thumbnails are usually in a thumbs.db file.

Whether Easyshare deletes the photos after download is a setting in Easyshare. I would change that before downloading any more photos.

Most digital cameras comply with Microsoft’s system of showing the camera as a separate drive when you connect it. Many Kodak cameras don’t comply with that protocol. To find out whether yours does you would have to uninstall Easyshare and see if the camera can be accessed separately. The best alternative is just to get a card reader if your computer doesn’t already have one. Then you could bypass Easyshare to make sure that isn’t the problem.

Try a different viewer. Right click on one of the photos > Open With > Internet Explorer. You could also try Paint or any viewer on the list. If other viewers are showing only a partial photo it is probably that you have lost the photos. If you haven’t taken any more photos on the card they can probably be recovered with recovery software. http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php But you could go to a lot of trouble only to find the photos on the card are bad.

If it is a relatively new camera your best bet is probably Kodak support.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice