1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with laptop charger

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dgorjup, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dgorjup

dgorjup Thread Starter

I've had problems with my Dell Inspiron 1570 laptop not fully charging for quite some time. The battery would charge normally to about 55% and then just stop there, although the Dell Battery Meter would still say "charging".

I've done some googling and decided that my battery was dying, so I ordered a new one off ebay. This one charges normally to about 70% (or at least that's what the battery meter says), then stays there, just like the old one.
    A curious thing I've noticed is that the original battery had the capacity of 5600mAh and the new one only has 4400mAh. 55% of 5600mAh, which is what the old battery was charging to, and 70% of 4400mAh for the new one, are exactly the same values (3080mAh). I have no idea what that means, but it sure is interesting.

Someone already suggested to try battery calibration. Since there was no such option in BIOS, I tried doing it manually, by draining the battery and then recharging it with the laptop powered off. I actually got a few percent less charge that way.

I'm running Windows 8.1, but I've also tried booting a live Ubuntu USB, which made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Please post the current and voltage ratings for both batteries and the output current and voltage rating of charger. They will be written on them.

3. dgorjup

dgorjup Thread Starter

Both batteries have 11.1V output, but the labels say nothing about current. Here it a link to the battery I've ordered off ebay.
    The charger output is rated for 19.5V and 3.34A.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  5. dgorjup

dgorjup Thread Starter

I've attached a screen shot of the HWMonitor window, taken after the (new) battery stopped charging, this time at 68%. I don't currently have the old one at hand to test it, but I suspect the result would be similar.

Attached Files:

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. dgorjup

dgorjup Thread Starter

Thank you, I've tried the suggested solutions (along with many other suggestions I've been able to find on the internet), but unfortunately none of them worked for me.
    My problem is also a bit different than the one described in the linked thread. My battery won't charge above about 70%, although the Windows battery meter application still says "charging".

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You could try a different charger, maybe one with a higher current/power rating. A cheap one from Ebay should do.

I think that's a long shot but I can't think of anything else to try.

9. trogdo

trogdo

I think Allan is spot on, a new charger may be the way to go. Do you have access to a multimeter? Measure the actual voltage it's putting out and see if it matches the stated spec.

10. dgorjup

dgorjup Thread Starter

I've measured the chargers voltage output and it looked fine (it's rated for 19.5V, I got 19.81V). I do have another dell charger, rated for higher voltage (I don't have access to it right now, but I think it was 22V) which I've already considered using. I haven't tried it yet though, I was afraid the higher voltage would damage my laptop.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    A charger with a higher current and/or power rating would be safe to try as long as the voltage was 19.5 or just a little higher, 22 Volts might be too high and could damage the motherboard.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice