Problem with laptop power/battery

bj nick

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. The amber light was flashing so I purchased a replacement battery on Amazon (not an official Dell battery), installed it, charged it all the way. However, it seems to lose power on shutdown; when it's started up again after a full charge, it says "battery low" and quickly shuts off. It will work fine when plugged in. Not sure what to do.....help?

bj nick

Thanks for responding, here it is below. BTW as we "speak," the laptop power is actually working......I just left the laptop on after another full charge, and it is slowly draining......I have no idea why it's working now and not the last few times I tried. In any case, PLEASE check out the info and let's see if there's something going on that accounts for the inconsistency.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200528191911.000000-420
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (105 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0K1J52, ver A00, s/n /8F6S5F2/CNWSC0074Q00E1/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n 8F6S5F2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

bj nick

Okay, so I've experimented a bunch with the laptop, and it appears the problem is a little different than I first described. The battery charges fine, but when I shut down the laptop, it just restarts....every time. I shut down, close the laptop, but I can see it rebooting on its own, and the solid clear light is on. So the drain is happening b/c I would fully charge the battery/laptop, say, the night before......but it had actually kept running, so by the time I boot up 3 hours later....or the next day.....it's already drained.

managed

Allan
As a test try putting the laptop into Sleep mode and see if it restarts by itself then.
Try the same test putting it into Hibernate as well.

bj nick

Okay, I tried sleep mode.....made no difference. It sat there quietly for five seconds then rebooted. Ugh.

bj nick

Hibernate was not an option but I re-enabled it. Doesn't change anything. Whether I select sleep/hibernate/shut down/restart, the computer boots right up again every time. Nothing obvious in Device Manager.

I took the battery out and tried everything again without the battery in there, no difference. Lost at this point.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Usually your problem on 10 is caused by third party software - that has some aspects of system management such as the make it go faster, booster, clean up your computer - type of software
OR a driver problem on 10.

Therefore do you have any third party system management software installed.
Please confirm that Windows Defender is the AV in use - athough your system spec says it is that is not always the case

In the meantime try fully shutting down the laptop as here
windows button on taskbar
right click
hold on shutdown etc
on menu that appears you have shutdown shown
hold down shift key and click shutdown

The above is not a real solution only a way round the problem for the time being

Last edited:

bj nick

Thanks for this, but it doesn't seem to do change anything. Yes, Windows defender, no, not any "system mgmt." software I can think of.....I am surprised to hear this is a software issue. Maybe I'll go in and delete any 3rd party things installed in, say, the last few months, though I don't think there's any......I'll do that and report back. Thanks for trying to help.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In the meantime try fully shutting down the laptop as here
windows button on taskbar
right click
hold on shutdown etc
on menu that appears you have shutdown shown
hold down shift key and click shutdown
Have you tried that
checking battery power before shutdown and then chekcing it after - say the next day
as against the default windows 10 - NOT complete shuitdown.

plodr

Liz
There is someone on another forum with the same problem. He bought a replacement battery (I don't remember the brand of laptop). It is fully charged to 100%. He turns it off but lets it plugged in. When he fires it up the next morning, the charge has fallen to 99% or 98% with the laptop plugged in. When it was unplugged overnight, the power dropped even more.

We've come to the conclusion that the laptop doesn't manage the replacement battery well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online