1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with LCD monitor power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dipdog, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

I've have a problem with an LCD monitor. The on/off button will freeze in the on position (green light on), such that when I push the button, it will not turn off. Most of the time I'm not even aware that it's happened, until I reboot the computer. When the screen goes black, just after the Windows XP logo and just before the "welcome" screen, it remains black with the power light still on. When I unplug it and plug it back in, the screen comes up just fine. This seems to also happen randomly when the screen goes black just before switching to a screen saver. I've tried to disable all running programs with msconfig to see if a program was causing this. I was almost convinced that my Trend Micro Anti-Virus was doing it, as I seemed to be able to replicate and stop the problem by enabling or disabling the program. So I uninstalled the program, but now I noticed that it's happening again. Although I can't pinpoint the problem, it seems to be just predictable enough that I'm reluctant to think that it's an electrical issue. Any ideas?

2. onsite

onsite

On my LCD at home, this is what I do. I turn on the pc, the indicator on the LCD is yellow ( nothing will show on the LCD) so i push the button and the indicator goes green and I can see the pc POST. If I am in windows and I push the button again the indicator will go yellow and no display and i have to push the button to see the display again.
    1, how does yours differ?
    2. have you gone into the LCD set up program , should be controls to get into ( more buttons)
    3. are you using a digital or analog connection to the lcd ?
    4. what graphics card ?
    5. are you using a KVM or any type of video extension cable?
    6. did you check your connections

3. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

1. same setup
    2. yes, but there wasn't helpful there
    3. analog
    5. no
    6. yes

4. took some advice and used DirectX Diagnostic Tool to check the driver settings. Results were as follows:

Card name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_4043107B&REV_02
    Display Memory: 96.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3889 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 8/20/2004 19:11:36, 37951 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 8/20/2004 19:26:00, 737874 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6632-11CF-FA7C-4960A3C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x2572
    SubSys ID: 0x4043107B
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Not Available
    Draw Test Result: Failure at step 7 (User verification of fullscreen bouncing): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
    D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
    D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
    D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

It was at these failure points that the screen repeatedly and predictably went and stayed blank (black) while the on/off button froze in the on position.

I went to the Gateway website a while ago and tried to download the updated drivers for my monitor, but the computer said that I had the most recent drivers already installed.

Any advice? Appreciate your help!

4. onsite

onsite

Well we need to find out if it is the monitor ( LCD) or the PC. It sounds like it is the LCD.
    If it were me I would take the LCD to a friends house or connect it to another PC or a Notebooks video out connection. I would then usethe monitor way past the time it would have faulted on your system.

5. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

The monitor driver that is installed right now is the MSFT default monitor driver. There is an updated driver for my monitor at the Gateway website. I should point out, if I wasn't clear before, that this is not a Gateway computer. It's an Emachine that came with an Emachine monitor. I'm trying to upgrade to a Gateway LCD.

I'd like to try to update the monitor driver and see if that helps. Does anyone know how to manually do that? I knew at one time, and I've forgotten. If I try to update, the Wizard says that it's not able to find a more recent driver, even when I direct it to the folder where the new driver was downloaded. If I sign on as administrator in safe mode, the properties box on the monitor driver tab is greyed out. If I uninstall the driver, the properties box is no longer available, and the computer automatically selects the default driver when I reboot.

- Scott

6. onsite

onsite

Is the lcd monitor branded with the Gateway Logo ?
    if so yes you can use the gateway update.

7. dipdog

dipdog Thread Starter

Just wanted to make a follow up to this thread. Reinstalled Windows XP Pro a few weeks ago, and have not had problems with the monitor since :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice