Problem with left screen hinge

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Serge2012

Hi,

For a few weeks now I have some problems with my HP laptop 15-af131dx. I was hearing all the time a cracking noise each time I opened it but I didn't really pay attention to it. The left hinge is stuck and it twists the plastic cover. I send photos as attachment so you can see how it looks like. Is the left hinge broken and should I buy a new one? I saw a few videos how to install a hinge on YouTube so I will do it by myself. Does anybody have any recommendations for the type of hinge I will need and any links on Amazon or other sites?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Serge

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200303160522.000000-240
Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 445 GB (187 GB Free); D: 19 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8137, ver 99.53, s/n PFHTKD41U9IO9X
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 1, s/n CND5414MTT
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

Gr3iz

Mark
From the second picture, it looks like it's too late. It looks like the plastic is already broken on the bottom case. I've been able to buy replacement cases through eBay in the past. Maybe you can find one that is dead so you can use the case for parts ...

Serge2012

From the second picture, it looks like it's too late. It looks like the plastic is already broken on the bottom case. I've been able to buy replacement cases through eBay in the past. Maybe you can find one that is dead so you can use the case for parts ...
Hi Gr3iz, thanks for your message. Actually I've never used eBay. I've found that type of replacement kit on Amazon, will it work? :

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ds=hp+laptop+cover&qid=1594397335&s=pc&sr=1-2

Gr3iz

Mark
This kit is for a top cover, which does include the hinges, but the photo shows the bottom case plastic broken.

Serge2012

Serge2012

This kit is for a top cover, which does include the hinges, but the photo shows the bottom case plastic broken.
I forgot to ask because I'm a little bit confused.. When you talk about the broken bottom case cover, are you talking about the bottom base cover case or the twisted plastic cover in front of the screen?

Gr3iz

Mark
Hard to tell from the picture, but this looks like the rear of the bottom case is broken.
1594411560639.png

That link is still for just the top cover. It is the top (or back of the LCD assembly) and bezel (the part that surrounds the screen itself, which also appears broken from that picture). The picture above seems to indicate that the rear corner of the bottom is broken. Maybe it's just the light or shadows.

Serge2012

Hard to tell from the picture, but this looks like the rear of the bottom case is broken.
View attachment 278929

That link is still for just the top cover. It is the top (or back of the LCD assembly) and bezel (the part that surrounds the screen itself, which also appears broken from that picture). The picture above seems to indicate that the rear corner of the bottom is broken. Maybe it's just the light or shadows.
Hi,

I did more research and found these two on Amazon.

Base bottom cover for HP Envy but I'm not sure if it compatible with the HP 15-af131dx...:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...p/B07D8P5HRV#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

And for the hinges :

https://www.amazon.com/FMS-Compatible-813950-001-Replacement-15-AC133DS/dp/B07JFTDMDY

Gr3iz

Mark
As I said, I was going by the pictures. Only you can tell if the bottom is truly damaged. You can open it up and compare the grill openings and cutouts and see if they match up. Often a single assembly will be used for multiple laptops in a manufacturer's production line(s).
First determine if the bottom is damaged, then if the replacement matches yours. Also note that it looks like it may not arrive for two months! Must be coming from China ... By slow boat!

Serge2012

As I said, I was going by the pictures. Only you can tell if the bottom is truly damaged. You can open it up and compare the grill openings and cutouts and see if they match up. Often a single assembly will be used for multiple laptops in a manufacturer's production line(s).
First determine if the bottom is damaged, then if the replacement matches yours. Also note that it looks like it may not arrive for two months! Must be coming from China ... By slow boat!
Hi, here are two other pics of my laptop. Well, I know a lot of stuff on Amazon comes from China... Do you know a good/reliable online store for computer parts?

Attachments

Serge2012

I don't have time today but I will open it up tomorrow and have a look at the damage.

Gr3iz

Mark
OK, by those two pictures, it looks like the first thing you showed for the top cover may be what you need, The bottom base ass't. does not look broken, it must've been part of the design. However, the mounting studs where the hinge screws onto on the bottom base may be broken. That's where you'll need to look.

Serge2012

OK, by those two pictures, it looks like the first thing you showed for the top cover may be what you need, The bottom base ass't. does not look broken, it must've been part of the design. However, the mounting studs where the hinge screws onto on the bottom base may be broken. That's where you'll need to look.
OK I've also noticed that now I have a vertical line in the middle of the screen... Except E-Bay do you know a reliable online store for computer parts?

Gr3iz

Mark
Not really. I usually Google the part(s) I need and choose a place that does not look like it is a fly-by-night type. Those links for Amazon had the top cover and hinges you need. Did you look inside to determine whether the mounting posts are broken? The places on the bottom cover where the hinges screw into ...

Serge2012

Not really. I usually Google the part(s) I need and choose a place that does not look like it is a fly-by-night type. Those links for Amazon had the top cover and hinges you need. Did you look inside to determine whether the mounting posts are broken? The places on the bottom cover where the hinges screw into ...
Hi, Ok so I will look again at the links from Amazon. Well, everything else inside seem to be ok. I will close this thread and order those parts in the next few days. Thanks again for your help.

Serge

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online