1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Lexmark printer and computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NJMom130, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I just purchased a new Acer Aspire computer. It's a tower computer running windows xp.
    I attempted to hook up my Lexmark X6100 All in One Printer. I plug the cable into the USB port at the back of the computer. When I turn on the computer it will not boot up. It freezes at the ACER screen and will not continue to load Windows. I've tried it in both USB ports.

Can you tell me what to do? It should work but I don't know why.

Thanks

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Did you install the driver for it? Normally, you have it turned on and plug in the USB cable during the driver install or install the driver first, (if it allows that) then plug it in.

3. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I plugged in the printer once the computer was turned on. It would not let me download the driver when it was not plugged in. Said it couldn't find it.

So I downloaded the software that came with the printer. I did not check to see if it printed or not. It said that everything loaded successfully.

I turned the computer off for the night. I turned it on the this morning and there it was on the ACER page and it did nothing else. Never got to the point where Windows would load.

So what do you think?

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

You may have already done this, but what happens when you have the computer up and running and then plug the printer into a USB port??

5. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

The computer still runs with no problem. It's when I shut if off and then restart it the computer freezes at start up. I don't know about the printer.

6. SacsTC

SacsTC

Does the computer recognize and allow you to use the printer if it is plugged in after the computer is running?

7. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I'll have to try it and see. I'll post back once I do.

8. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

Hi,

The printer did allow me to print. I have since deleted the driver and I'm downloading from Lexmark directly. Maybe the driver and software from the CD were not current. I'll let you know how I make out.

9. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I installed the newest driver from Lexmark website and I still have the same problem. I can use the printer when the computer is running. It seems I have to unplug the cable from the USB port when I shut down the computer because it will not allow me to boot up. So I guess I'll just have to keep plugging it in and out when the computer is running.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice