1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Liteon cdrw

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nothingface, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nothingface

Nothingface Thread Starter

I purchased the lite-on 52x24x52 cdrw drive. But when I insert a cd, the cdrom icon in my computer doesn't change to the cd icon like its supposed to..and if i try to open it, it says not ready..as if there's no cd in there. it burns cds fine though... i have windows 2000 pro.

2. slipe

slipe

I think what you are looking for is the packet writing. You format a re-writable RW disk with InCD. Then whenever you insert the formatted RW in the drive it becomes active and you can drag or paste stuff directly to the drive in windows explorer. Most Lite-Ons come with Nero and InCD is the packet writing software that usually installs with Nero. If you don’t have Nero you have a different packet writing program.

A completely blank CD should act as you describe.

3. exocet

exocet

You'll also want to set that drive up as the master drive on the IDE channel its on (unless it is sharing it with a harddrive).

4. slipe

slipe

This is from the Lite-On manual:

- Set your jumper to Slave device if your CD-RW will be connected to the primary IDE port.
    - Set the jumper to Master device if your CD-RW is the only device which connect to secondary IDE port.
    - Set your jumper to Slave device if your CD-RW will be connected to the secondary IDE port with a master device existed.

http://www.liteonit.com/english/index-english.htm

I prefer the burner as master on the secondary and the CD-ROM or DVD as slave on the primary. But it will work fine as either master or slave. Whether it is set as master or slave has nothing to do with your situation – which is normal I think.

5. exocet

exocet

Thanks slipe, my memory served me poorly in this case =x

I myself like to keep the CD drives on a channel different than the ones my harddrives are on.

On my own setup, my burner is secondary master with my dvd drive as secondary slave. Both harddrives on the primary channel.

And like slipe said, installing the nero software that should have come with your drive ought to solve the no read problem.

6. Nothingface

Nothingface Thread Starter

OK ill try installing the programs. But the no read thing happens on cds that i just burned..so there's actually data on them. If problem continues, ill post. thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice