1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with loading Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by AhrenBa, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have been trying to boot and later install the ubuntu cd. However it gets to a point where it keeps displaying:

"Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 0"
    THEN
    "Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 1"
    THEN
    "Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 3"

and so on.......

Why is it doing this and how can I fix this? I really want to install Ubuntu.

2. saikee

saikee

You haven't told us what is your hdc as it can be a hard disk or the CD rom.

If you have burnt the Ubuntu CD yourself it pays to do a MD5SUm check. The MD5SUN number is published in every site for verifying the integrity of the transmission.

If the hdc refers to a hard disk then it can be a hardware problem. Best way is to try it with a MS system first and any OS will not pass it.

3. keyser.soze

keyser.soze

I agree with saikee. Sounds like a source/build problem. Check the MD5SUN.

4. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

I just tried the MD5SUM and they are both the same, verifying the integrity of the file.

I am pretty sure it is a cd rom error, but I am not sure.

Wait, what do you mean by this?

Also, right when the CD begins to load I get the error, "ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP". What does that mean?

Another thing.....I tried to use the alternate install cd and it gets a little further but it stops and says "Cannot mount CD".

5. saikee

saikee

It appears your CD rom isn't read correctly. Time to carry out a check on hardware connection, like

(1) Has the CD rom been set as the Master (hdc means LInux got it from the master location of the secondary IDE cable).

(2) Ribbon cable is pushed in fully and the wire No. 1 corresponds to the No. 1 port location.

6. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ok, cool, I will check these things right in just one moment. I am running the mem. test that comes on the ubuntu cd to see if that finds anything.

But I have been able to run other live cds such as Knoppix, DSL, SLAX, wouldn't this mean that the device is working correctly?

7. GripS

GripS

Might just have a bad burn or bad CD. When putting a version of linux on a CD for installation i burn at slower speeds and let it verify the data after the burn is complete. It takes longer yes but can save headaches during the install.

8. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Ok, cool I will try this. However, I have burnt 5 different cds so far and no luck.

Plus I put the Ubuntu cd in my other computer and it booted fine. :(

9. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hmmm.... I noticed that a lot of the linux cds except a select few will not boot. The main error seems to be that it can never mount the cd or the filesystem.

I also got an error asking if I was using "SCSI"? What does this mean?

Also, is there an option I can choose in the BIOS to tweak my cd drive?

Also, is there a program that can tell me the make and model of my drive and components of my computer (for windows)? Thanks

10. GripS

GripS

11. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I will take a look at these.

Also, on a side note. I managed to get MEPIS installed. This has been the only distro out of about 10 that worked. I don't really want to use it, there are many others that I would much rather use. :(

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!