1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PROBLEM with Local Security Policy and more

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Whytee, Jul 22, 2011.

?

Did Malware screw my system up, or an ignorant "know-it-all" playing around?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2011.
  1. Malware did it, no question

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Both (Ignoramous played wit it and malware finished it)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ignoramous did it, no question

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whytee

Whytee Thread Starter

Okay, so, I was going to restrict access to my computer to a limited account for everyone else since I had unexpectedly discovered nasty malware on my system. So I go to Control Panel » Administrative Tools » Local Security Policy. Then I get this message:

"The Group Policy security settings that apply to this machine could not be determined. The error returned when trying to retrieve these settings from the local security policy database (%windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb) was: The parameter is incorrect. All local security settings will be displayed, but no indication will be given as to whether or not a given security setting is defined by Group Policy. Any local security setting modified through this User Interface may subsequently be overriden by domain-level policies."

I can't figure out what this idiot did to my computer. Just before this happened I had to fix a logon log off loop on my machine. I just want to know if there is any possible way I can just copy and paste the entire contents of C:\WINDOWS from the Win XP Pro Install CD to my HDD? I do NOT want to format and reinstall. Please help.

2. Whytee

Whytee Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say,

I right click on policy and click properties... Nothing happens. Same with help for ALL of Windows. Its like half the registry and actual Windows files just went *poof* gone.

3. Rockn

Rockn

I had a user in the office run malwarebytes and it completely hosed his master boot record. I really don't trust any of these programs. It would be so simple for some company to pose as a do gooder and steal everything on your computer and you would never know it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice