Problem with Memory - cannot load up more than one application

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Seita

Hey fellas, i'd really appreciate some help on this. I've tried searching through the forum but most of the results came up with problems relating to memory but not to this problem. My brother recently bought four new 256mb memory cards, made by samsung, they are ECC. Once he installed them, the computer booted up normally. After various restarts we realized that we couldn't open up more than one application at a time. Has anybody else ever had this problem? I'm horribly noobish with hardware problems for computers so any specific advice with installing and such will help.

The computer is a 1-2yr old Dell desktop.

EDIT:
He's managed to fix it by putting his old 256 non-ecc chips into the old slots (used by those two chips) and 2 256 ECC chips on 2 other slots, "so right now its default to the lowest 8 channel non ecc". It also seems to run faster, but I would really like some feedback on this incase it's not a good idea to mix them, or any other information that will help. Thanks~

Why'd he buy ECC for a desktop? Return it and get non-ecc, it's cheaper anyway. ECC is for servers and such. And ECC ram is slower.

Q: Difference between ECC and Non- ECC Memory (#2447)
A: ECC stands for "error correcting code." Like parity memory, ECC memory detects and reports memory errors. However, while parity can only detect errors, ECC can actually correct errors without interrupting the other operations of your system.

If you do not see an option for ECC memory when searching for your memory upgrade, your system most likely has non-ECC memory installed and will not support ECC memory. In this case, you should upgrade your system with non-ECC memory (standard).

If your system has ECC memory, you should choose the upgrade option with "w/ECC". If you determine that your system is using non-ECC (standard) memory, you should select the upgrade without ECC in the description.

There is a slight decrease in performance, but it's usually approximately 3-4% on PC133 CAS2 ECC SDRAM insignificant since 3% is barely within the margin of error on benchmarks

ECC more expensive than Non-ECC, but not all motherboards support ECC ram. check with your Motherboard manufacturer before purchasing Ecc Memory. It's often used in high end systems, or servers.
by Cariad

Agreed i saw ECC... and said whoa... thats sever ram Not necessarily Server ram but 99% of Servers use it :) get rid of it SacstC said Error correcting Code ram = after you open one program your computer recognizes it and will not allow anything else to load

Done - Solved.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, I've never seen a system that won't simply ignore the extra parity bits if you stick ECC into a system that doesn't support it. I routinely use ECC for my main computers, simply because it's one less failure mode that I'm likely to experience. Most mainstream motherboards do indeed support ECC, it's been a while since I had one that didn't have ECC support. There is no difference between an ECC module and a non-ECC module, other than the extra memory chip(s) to support the parity bits.

Now, registered and non-registered memory are a whole different kettle of fish, that is something that bites folks occasionally. :D

Seita

Thanks a lot guys, problem solved for now, he's returned them for non-ECC (the reason he bought them was because he got four ECC for about $180).

wow you can get a high end corsair xms 1 GB module ddr 400 for $125 from newegg...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online