1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with microsoft office xp word and excel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pvgdlife, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pvgdlife

pvgdlife Thread Starter

In both Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, when I do a "File, Open" command, a box comes up showing the contents of the last directory I used. If I then attempt to use the drop down from this box to navigate to a new directory, it takes 65 seconds before the drop down list appears, and then another 30-40 seconds before the drop-down menu responds to my request for a new directory.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Microsoft office, and I have run the "detect and repair" option in the help menu. Nothing seems to fix the problem. I have no idea why this is happening or what Microsoft Office is doing during those 65 seconds to produce the drop down list and during the following 30-40 seconds to navigate to a requested directory in the drop down list.

I do not have this problem with other applications such as Lotus 123.

Any ideas?

2. Curly

Curly

Is this computer on a network? Is it a workgroup or domain computer? Are those applications looking for a network folder? Do you use anything like folder redirection? Are they looking for a folder that is on a very busy drive? Where are these folders located? Did you set up your entire system and network, or did someone else do it?

We will need to more about your setup. The more relevant details you can provide, the better.

3. pvgdlife

pvgdlife Thread Starter

Thank you for respionding to my message!

The computer is on a home network but is not trying to access any other computer on the network when the problem occurs. The problem always happens when I try to go to another directrory on the C drive of my computer using the navigation menus within Microsoft Word 2002 and Excel 2002. Since I do not know what "folder redirection" is, I am probably ot doing that.

I am only having this problem with Microsoft Office XP proessional (Mord 2002 and Excel 2002), never with other applications such as Windows XP Explorer, Lotus 123, Jasc Photo program, etc.

My network has been in place and unchanged for several years and this problem is less than 6 months ago - it may have started when I installed Microsoft's Service Pack 3 but I am not certain of that.

Service Pack 3 tried to install the 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office 2003 that came pre-loaded on my HP Slimline computer; I never used the trial Microsoft Office 2003 program because I was happy with my own Office XP professional (word and Excel 2002) and I finally had to use Windows uninstaller to get rid of Office 2003 because Windows XP kept asking me for an installation code on every bootup after Service Pack 3 was installed.

4. Curly

Curly

Service Pack 3 itself does not install any trial software. So I do not know where you downloaded it.

Have you tried repairing those Office applications with the Office installation disk?

5. pvgdlife

pvgdlife Thread Starter

SP3 came from the Microsoft we site. It came as part of the auto upgrade software that came with my computer.

Don't remember exactly how it occured, but an attempt to install M.O. 2003 was made (probably when the computer rebooted as part of completing the SP3 was installation).

I did try with the original installation disks and that did not fix the problem. I tried both detecting and fixing M.O. XP professional and also uninstalling and then re-installing M.O. XP professional. Nothing fixed the problem.

6. Curly

Curly

I do not understand that. Did it come from the Microsoft site, or did it come as part of the software that came from your computer?

Again, no software other than SP3 is given when installing SP3. If this truely happened, you obtained it from somewhere other than microsoft.com.

I do not understand what you are attempting to say, so, unfortunately, I cannot help you. Hopefully someone else will be able to understand and help

7. pvgdlife

pvgdlife Thread Starter

SP3 came from the Microsoft site. When the computer automatically re-booted after installing SP3, it attempted to install the trial M.O. 2003 that came pre-installed on my computer and had remained uninstalled and dormant for years. I did not have an activation code for M.O. 2003, I didn't want a version of M.O. that might interfere with my exisitng fully functional M.O. 2002 version and that would expire in 60 days unless I laid out more money to purchase it, and thus I stopped the installation M.O. 2003 before it could complete. After that, the computer asked me for the M.O. 2003 activation code every time I re-booted. This was annoying and kept me "glued" to my computer during every re-boot in order for me to cancel the computer's attempt to finish installing and activating M.O. 2003 each time, so I finally got rid of that problem by using Windows XP's Control Panel "Uninstall Program" function to uninstall M.O. 2003 completely. This did not fix my internal navigation problem in M.O. XP Professional (Word 2002 and Excel 2002).

I am not certain if SP3 or the subsequent aborted attempt by my computer to install the M.O. 2003 trial version during the subsequent re-boot required for activating SP3 is the cause of my problem with M.O. XP Professional (Word 2002 and Excel 2002). All I know is that it now takes forever to navigate to a different directory using the menus in either of these two programs (I don't know if I had the same Word and Excel problem before SP3 or if I have the same problem now with Publisher 2002 since I very rarely use Publisher 2002 on my computer and there is never a need for me to navigate away from Publisher's "My Documents" default directory). However, I do have a continuing need to be able to navigate to different directories from within Excel 2002 and Word 2002, so the problem with these programs is very real for me.

Here is what I did as an attempt to fix the internal navigation problem within Word 2002 and Excel 2002:

(1) After uninstalling M.O 2003 trial version, I tried using the repair function from my original M.O. XP Professional installation disk to find and fix anything wrong in my existing Microsoft Office Suite installation. This did not fix the internal navigation problem within Word 2002 and Excel 2002.

(2) I uninstalled the entire Microsoft Office XP Suite (including Word 2002 and Excel 2002) using the "Uninstall Program" function in Windows XP's Control Panel. Then I re-installed the entire Microsoft Office XP Professional Suite (including Word 2002 and Excel 2002) from my original installation discs. This also did not fix the internal navigation problem in either Excel 2002 or Word 2002.

(3) I have checked other programs on my computer and found that none of them have this internal navigation problem. I also dound that Windows Explorer works perfectly and does not have a navigation problem.

I repeat that I do not know if this navigation problem existed in Word 2002 and Excel 2002 before I installed SP3. I only know that I became aware of it recently after I installed SP3 and I am now out of ideas about how to fix the Word 2002 and Excel 2002 internal navigation problem.

I appreciate your trying to help. Without direct access to my computer it is probably a very difficult diagnosis problem for you. If you can't help any further, please know that I am grateful for the effort you have already expended and that I will remain grateful even if no further help is possible.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/850582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice