1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Microsoft Outlook

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Browny1, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Browny1

Browny1 Thread Starter

Using Windows XP - I Have Microsoft Outlook (Calander) and Outlook Express (e-mail) - Microsoft Office 2000- No Problem with the e-mail but can't access Outlook, and I think it is due to iTunes. If I uninstall iTunes then Outlook works OK but when I re-install iTunes Outlook stops. It tries to load ad there is a fleeting glimpse of the page but then it disappears. Any Suggestions !

2. Richard_Peel

Richard_Peel

Hello,

Firstly try adding iTunes to the Data Execution ignore list. To do this go Start > Control Panel> System > Advanced Tab> Performance Settings.

Once there check the ‘Turn on DEP for all Programs and services except those I select’, then add iTunes to the list.

Then try launching Outlook in Safe Mode (‘Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe’). Go to ‘About Outlook’ and you should see a button entitled ‘Disabled Components’, listed there somewhere will be the offending add-in that is most likely causing Outlook to crash (an iPhone add-in I believe). Re-enable that add-in. Then go to Tools > Other > Advanced > Com Add-Ins and make sure the right box is checked and the add-in is enabled there.

Quit iTunes and Outlook and re-test the issue.

Let us know how that works out.

Cheers,
    Rich.

3. Browny1

Browny1 Thread Starter

Hi Rich,
    It did not work. Same thing happens - it tries to load but disappears after less than a second. I also tried adding "Quick time" to the DEP list as iTunes needs this to work, but still the same outcome.
    Regards
    Peter

4. Richard_Peel

Richard_Peel

Ah that's a shame,

What happens if you run Outlook from Start > Run with either of the following? :

Start > Run > Outlook.exe /noextensions

or

Start > Run > Outlook.exe /firstrun

Let us know,

Cheers,
    Rich.

5. Browny1

Browny1 Thread Starter

Sorry Rich,
    Tried both, but still the same problem.
    Regards
    Peter

6. Richard_Peel

Richard_Peel

Hi Peter,

Part of the issue is probably that you're using Outlook 2000, and Microsoft probably aren't releasing any updates for that edition to ensure that conflicts with more modern applications don't occur.

From what I've read the issue is with the install of "Apple Mobile Device Support". You can uninstall this from Add/Remove programs and your issue should go away however you may then face issues syncing whatever iOS device you are using.

May be worth giving it a go an seeing whether you face any other issues as a result?

Let me know.

Cheers,
    Rich.

7. Browny1

Browny1 Thread Starter

Hi Rich --- EUREKA
    Have just done as you suggested and Outlook now works.
    Don't know yet if it causes any problems with syncing,
    but if it does then will have to upgrade my Outlook.
    Many thanks for your help Rich.
    Regards
    Peter

8. Richard_Peel

Richard_Peel

No worries buddy, happy to help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice