1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with modem(i think)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wolverine_X, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wolverine_X

Wolverine_X Thread Starter

I don't know if i am posting this in the right place or not but here goes. Sometimes when i go to log on to the net i get a message sayinf my modem couln't be detected or its in use. What would cause this? Is my modem going bad? or could the driveres need updated? I have checked to see if it might be loose but thats not it. I don't want to hunt down the drivers if its just plain the modem. Please any help would be great.

I am running win98 if thats needed. Thanks

2. hornetsjet

hornetsjet

i think ur modem is spoilt.
    Go to buy a new one and give me the old one.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome...when it says that, can you plug a regular telephone line into the phone jack on the modem and see if there is dial tone?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I almost always look at the drivers first whenever someone has a modem problem. try downloading the latest drivers and then completey uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones. This I find fixes 80% of modem problems. 15% usually are bad modems and the remaining 5% usually have a stupid solution or aren't compatible with the system (usually they never work right from day one).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice