1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Mom's computer. Need help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gjcdigartntch, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gjcdigartntch

gjcdigartntch Thread Starter

My mom has a 2002 Dell Inspiron 1501. It runs Windows XP Media Center. First its been having problems with internet connection. Then it's been having problems with Shutting down. It would never shut down so I would have to press button every time to shut it off. Then when I turn it on one day it started making beeps, fails to boot, and I got a Blue screen of death once. Then when I turn it on again to make sure if it still works the green light is on to tell me it's on but the screen is black. I thought about getting a universal hard drive adapter kit to get my mom's important documents of the hard drive. I am worried about the hard drive. I want to be able to get my mom's stuff of the hard drive. I am worried about my mom's stuff. I don't want to pay 1000 dollars to recover my mom's data. I thought maybe Best Buy is within the 100 to 200 dollars range. What do you think is wrong with my mom's computer? Is it a operating system issue? Is my mom's hard drive ok? Will her work be safe? I am stuck.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

It is absolutely impossible to tell you what is wrong at this stage
    The first job is to run a hard drive analysis utility
    Do you know the make and model of the hard drive
    This will run on any drive but if it is not a Seagate drive it will not produce a full report but is a good starting point
    https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/

make yourself a CD or if you have them a floppy and boot the computer from the floppy or disc
    To make a Cd ISO on XP
    download this
    BurnCDCC™
    https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm
    it is free and follow instructions

To make a floppy you use the Seagate download
    https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-legacy-support-master/
    floppy disc creator

I would use the boot from the CD or the floppy rather than running it in windows due to the apparent instability of the system

3. gjcdigartntch

Can there be a Windows 10 instead of XP?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No you can't run a Windows 10 DVD to fix a 12 year old laptop with Windows XP.
    Specs: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-inspiron-1501

Take the hard drive out, attach it with a USB to IDE/SATA adapter, to another computer that has been booted up and see if you can see her files.

For future reference: any files that are important should be backed up, off the computer. The moment the laptop started having problems, this should have been done even if it wasn't done - ever.
    I trained my husband when he first started using computers (this is in the days of floppies) that he had to store his files off the computer and on at least 2 different floppies. That saved his bacon a few times when a floppy went bad. He immediately made a 2nd copy of the working floppy and we formatted the bad one and tossed it. If it wouldn't format, we took it apart.

5. gjcdigartntch

Should I buy and external hard drive for my mom?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    No just get the adapter as Liz said, then you take the hard drive out and connect it to a working computer to get the files (provided the hard drive still works of course).

How many beeps does your mum's laptop make in a row before a pause ?

7. gjcdigartntch

I don't remember the beep codes. But it stopped doing them. But how can I fix a hard drive with corrupted files?

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  9. gjcdigartntch

Someone told me if I try sfc/scannow it might wipe the hard drive of it's data. Because Windows XP is on the hard drive.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  11. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    It doesn't erase files. It trys to fix corrupted operating system files.

12. gjcdigartntch

Doesn't this only work on system files and not document, photos, and videos?

13. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    correct

14. gjcdigartntch

Then what do I do about my mom's corrupted documents, photos, and videos? I don't want to have to pay 1000 dollars to recover her data.

15. gjcdigartntch

I went to get a hard drive adapter and hooked it up to another computer. But then it started getting errors messages from two different computers saying that the files, directory or disk structure is corrupted and in unreadable. I don't want to pay 1000 dollars to recover my mom's data.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice