1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with ms office from start menu

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by damker, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Dear All hi and warmest wishes for a happy new year.

Consider the following please: whereas I can start Microsoft Office 2003 applications from "Start>All Programs" it is impossible to start directly from the "Start Menu". I just click and nothing happens.:confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks.:)

D.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

right click the icon pin to start menu or copy paste the icon into start all programmes start up

3. sepala

sepala

Are you getting any error message? This happens because the link from the start menu to office is down for some reason. If your software are working fine, then error is most probably only related to the link. So, copy and paste the Icons to the start menu>all programs.

4. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Thanks for responding so promptly. Well, no error appears. The programs just don't start. I deleted the entriesin the Start menu and pinned them up again, but nothing happened. I also reinstalled Office 2003 but to no avail.
    Any more ideas?
    Thanks a million.
    D.

5. daz1

daz1 Banned

try start all programmes open any office programmes like excell , photo etc if you manage to open any of it go straight to help detect and repair,
    and/or start contol panel add remove progs go to office click it and you will ee a repair option

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821593

6. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Hi again.
    Nothing of the above has helped.
    I've also just noticed that when I pin the shortcuts on the quick launch they are also inoperable.
    Something wrong with Windows, perhaps?
    Should I reinstall Windows and all anew?
    Thanks.
    D.

7. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Additionally, it is only when I pin the .exe files from the "Program Files" folder on the Start Menu that I can turn on the applications.

Experimenting with the shortcuts in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office folder I also noticed that whereas a double-click turns on the application a right click>open action does not. Can this be the cause? Does a double-click equal the right-click>open action?

Well, I think I've caused you enough trouble, but I should be grateful if I could avoid a general reinstallation of everything.

Thanks.

D.

8. daz1

daz1 Banned

pop disc in and start run type sfc /scannow to check windows files are all where they should be

9. damker

damker Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    I suppose pop windows disc in right? I did but nothing happened.
    Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice