1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with MSI 9600GT graphics card updating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azumaniwa, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azumaniwa

azumaniwa Thread Starter

Just recently bought myself a new computer, these are the specs

MSI P45 Neo2-FR motherboard
    2x2gb Kingston ram
    500gb seagate hdd
    corsair 520w psu
    MSI 9600GT graphics card
    Windows xp SP2

Basically, i've updated everything, the mobo, bios and installed all other drivers except for the graphic drivers. When i do try to install the driver, having tried both from the cd provided and directly from nvidia's website (ver 178.13) http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.13_whql.html ; i get a notification during installation telling me that it is unsafe or something to continue installation as it is not known or something whether the graphics card i have is compatible with windows xp or something along that lines. I choose continue anyway (if i dont, it just aborts as if nothing happened) and after about a minute, just get a black screen with a "_" flashing on the top left. I reboot, get to windows xp loading page which then just hangs. From there i'd boot again in safe mode and system restore myself back.

Really don't know what's wrong so could someone please help me?

2. Obmutescence

Obmutescence

Have you tried doing a clean uninstall of the drivers first? If you don't know what this is, then here are the steps:
    1) Download and install Driver Cleaner Pro, just google it for the download.
    2) Uninstall the drivers
    3) Reboot, once the computer starts to reboot, start in safe mode
    4) In safe mode, run the driver cleaner for Nvidia
    5) install the new drivers

Tell me if that works.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

when you get to the flashing "_" WAIT! It can take up to 5 mins to install and get past it, sometimes longer. I had this and had the same worries, I just waited until itstopped, after which it was fine. I assume its just driver installation, it gets there eventually. :)

4. BG-0

BG-0

Sometimes simple is the answer... I think I would as much amazed if my "modern" system started processing something, looking like DOS...

5. azumaniwa

azumaniwa Thread Starter

Hmm, with regards to uninstalling drivers; I don't think that'd be the problem since my pc is brand new and didnt have any drivers at all haha

And maybe I'll try the waiting thing, right now just a little too fed up to mess around with it, spent an awfully lot of time yesterday on it.

But I cant play many games on a simple comp D:

6. azumaniwa

azumaniwa Thread Starter

[update]
    Tried waiting (waited for 20mins) and installing the driver from the device manager but to no avail D:

7. Obmutescence

Obmutescence

Have you happened to try any older drivers out at all? Maybe see if it's a problem with those drivers and your system. Just a thought.

8. azumaniwa

azumaniwa Thread Starter

haha yea, i tried with 174.16 (the newest 1 being 178.13) and didnt work either D:

9. Obmutescence

Obmutescence

Oh jeez, well I'm out of ideas then, hopefully someone else can come in here and give some better advice. Sorry I couldn't help out!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice