1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with my cd player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lucyg, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lucyg

Lucyg Thread Starter

I recently purchased a computer thru my job that had windows applications loaded on it but am having problems with the cd-player.
    It played without any conflict up until about 2 weeks ago; it no longer plays, however the light of the cd drawer does come on whenever a cd in input in the drive. It does not play.
    I receive an error message, 'no cd in drive.' prompting either to click 'retry' or 'cancel'.

I know my husband has downloaded some information on it, and told me that he also deleted some things [whether they are files or not is not known] but the system does not even recognize if there is in fact a cd drive loaded.

Is it possible that the driver was deleted? If so, how can it be reloaded?

2. $teve

$teve

welcome to TSG lucyg.....have you tried looking in device manager to see if theres a question mark or a colon along side your cd drive?the system must recognise the drive if you get the error messages.can the drive read data?like on a software disk? you can run the trouble shooting wizard in there too.
    see if it comes up with anything and post back.
    good luck;)

3. slipe

slipe

Try removing the CD-ROM and reboot. It will reload the drive automatically.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>settings>Device Manager. Double click on CDROM and highlight your drive. Select “Remove” at the bottom of the box. Ignore the dire warnings and OK. You don’t have to do anything but reboot to have the drive detected and reload the drivers.

4. Lucyg

Lucyg Thread Starter

Hello Steve and slipe and thank you for responses.
    Unfortunately, neither worked. I first went into Device Manager to check the status on the drive [question mark or colon] and neither were present.

I then tried slipe's suggestion and removed the drive and rebooted. I did this twice and nothing..
    I verified in Properties that it was attached to the proper drive, and still nothing. Help me, I'm still at a loss..
    Thanks. :(

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Lucy, have you tried more than one cd? Have you tried cleaning the drive?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice