Problem with my dads computer...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

84Nemesis

My dad runs an older machine (p3 450) with windows 98se.

The problem is since he did an update on thursday night he has been unable to access the internet. He can't use Internet Explorer, Firefox or any internet application it just acts as if there is no internet connection.

We both share the same network, and I have internet connectivity. I have pinged his machine and have pinged mine from his. It sends and receives the packets without any loss. I know that isn't anything to say "well this works so the internet works" but it shows that the network isn't at fault and that it isn't a hardware issue.

The update he installed I believe was the one that is stickied on the forums, and I have removed all of the update components since but still no internet on his machine. I am currently installing my norton on his machine to see if he just has a virus, but any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I have also checked the IP to make sure it matches and have done the ipconfig /release_all and /renew_all to refresh the connection and everything is correct.

Thanks again for your time.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If your father's computer doesn't already have Norton installed, don't do it. :eek:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Restart his computer in DOS mode. When the black options menu screen appears, select the command prompt option. Type in

SCANREG /RESTORE

Select a registry backup with a date prior to when the problem occurred, but don't select the copy with the oldest date. If all goes well, the registry will restore to that copy, Windows will load, and everything will be back to normal. (y)

I've got 3 computers, but none of them are networked together nor share hardware devices, so don't ask me anything about networking. :confused:

84Nemesis

i followed your advice, but to no avail.

i didn't install norton, and tried the registry restore, but the problem persists.

Time for a format I guess.

First, your cant do ipconfig on Win98.. Try Winipcfg... check your ip, def gateway, dns & dhscp info.... Any Q's, repost the results of your winipcfg output.

P2E

84Nemesis said:

The problem is since he did an update on thursday night he has been unable to access the internet. He can't use Internet Explorer, Firefox or any internet application it just acts as if there is no internet connection.

We both share the same network, and I have internet connectivity. I have pinged his machine and have pinged mine from his. It sends and receives the packets without any loss. I know that isn't anything to say "well this works so the internet works" but it shows that the network isn't at fault and that it isn't a hardware issue.

The update he installed I believe was the one that is stickied on the forums, and I have removed all of the update components since but still no internet on his machine. I am currently installing my norton on his machine to see if he just has a virus, but any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I have also checked the IP to make sure it matches and have done the ipconfig /release_all and /renew_all to refresh the connection and everything is correct.

Thanks again for your time.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
A hard drive format and reinstall of Windows 98SE just might be a good idea.

Make sure that you have the necessary Windows CD with its 25-digit product code, and that you have a startup floppy disk with the necessary files in it, such as Format.com.

Interesting. I stand corrected. Apparently WinIPCfg and ipconfig both work on win98... Thanks for the heads up.

Did your ip results check out?

P2E

84Nemesis said:
ipconfig works fine on 98 SE :/

84Nemesis said:

What update did he do?
can you undo the update & see if your internet connection is retored?

i have a 98se with a wireless router & a xp networked with a adapter & although i'm no expert with a bit more info on your problem i might be able to help

84Nemesis

i did everything I could think of, from comparing ip address, gateways and everything to my own (with the obvious change in IP from a different machine) and even undid all of the updates, nothing would work, so instead of getting frustrated I simply saved the files he wanted saved and did a format.

thanks for the input, and your time and effort though

much appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online